ScottiE

Flexible solar panels

Go Flex are the ones I have.... and I paid quite a bit less than noted above, a lot less. They were a lot more than all others but on sussing the level of trust in the manufacture was far higher and for my application trust is very important.

The key is while flexible they are still quite solid. The cells are mounted/imprinted/something like that onto a panel that is sort of like the stuff they use for real estate signs, a flasher version of course. It is flexible but nothing like a sail cloth for example, it;s more like say cardboard. So while it can bend it won't fly like a flag nor can you 'roll' them up so to speak.

So I'd say the Go Flex are semi-flexible rather than full flexible, they are certainly not stiff.

As mentioned above I can walk on them. I have bungy on each corner and just hook them where it gives them the best sun blasting. I did consider poles and mounting them on top etc but the lack of flexibility and windage I couldn't live with.

The other day I had one lying on the kitchen bench not in direct sun away from any windows and the meter was reading 18.8V. Not sure if that means anything but I thought I should like that.

Mine are 100Wers.

Many products have relatively short guarantees, but you trust their quality and the reality is they do last . I trusted product from AA solar because they're supposed to be the experts, every 'agent' was reselling them. That was part of the buying decision . 

'Who supplies them?' AA solar' 'Do you trust them and their products?' 'Yes'.

Only I discovered at the boat show they're failing.

So I'm not happy to hear they are lemons because I went to a lot of trouble to integrate them into a dodger I built.

So I suppose its just fingers crossed for me and that they last out a few seasons at least. There's no come back .

Go Flex are the ones I have.... and I paid quite a bit less than noted above, a lot less. They were a lot more than all others but on sussing the level of trust in the manufacture was far higher and for my application trust is very important.

Bugger, should have said "I know KM, give me a discount"!

The other day I had one lying on the kitchen bench not in direct sun away from any windows and the meter was reading 18.8V. Not sure if that means anything but I thought I should like that.

Nope. For this scientific demonstration, you will need a Vacuum cleaner (ask wife ;-) and Multimeter.

Take the Vaccy's plug to the wall socket, but do not plug it in. Take the multimeter set to Volts and poke the leads into the wall socket and measure the Voltage. It should hopefully read somewhere around 230V. When you do that, does the Vaccy run??? Nope!

The same thing can be done by pluging in the vaccy but not sitching it on and measuring the Voltage in a strategic place, but much easier and safer doing it the way described above ;-)

In a nutshell, the Panels all have an open circuit voltage. It's easy to produce a Volatage, but to "do work" you need current as well and the Panel would not be producing any current. So if you could plug the panel in to something, it would not drive the something very well or at all.

Was at Westhaven yday by coincidence. so we went to Beacon Marine. Seems like a good product, guy there was knowledgeable and easy to talk to, but they are eye wateringly expensive.

Good news is his figures on performance were way ahead of what i had been calculating. No brainer now to go solar.