Cabin Heaters

Go diesel BP

I sailed a 66'er down from Tonga a couple of years ago with one

We fired it up about two days out and warmed the boat really well

Safer,drier and you already carry lots of the correct fuel that's easy to get re filled

Just my thoughts

Not that I've ever used a lpg heater but have had a few dodgy times with gas califonts barking at me when lighting them.

Jon, the LPG one is room sealed - no fumes or moisture in the boat. The combustion is actually "outside" and the heat is via a heat exchange system. Perfectly safe, and much cheaper than the Diesel one. But, in cold conditions for a long period, diesel is better, as generally you have more of it. My LPG one will use a 4.5KG gas bottle in about 5 days if on continuously, providing about a 12 deg temp rise in my boat, when about 6-7 deg outside. 

I know someone up that way that may want to sell a used diesel fired water and cabin heating system, heats the boat via a number of small radiators each with its own thermostat and fan. Was in the cat I bought in Aus.It would involve a fair bit of instalation though with pipes running to each radiator.  The webasto? diesel air heating units look pretty good.

TL - I'd be interested in checking that out. DUe to the layout of the boat I am going with a unit and ducting rather than bulkhead mount, but boy they are not cheap. (Currently spending all boat money on the house so we can sell it - I guess that is "boat money" in a way).  Matts propane one sounds good but maybe too small. 

I assume with diesel I'd need a lift pump as the diesel in in the top of the keel??

BP, have you ever had your yacht on a marina and used domestic heaters to keep warm whilst on board in the winter? A large domestic fan heater maxes out at 2.4KW. As a guide, on a 45' we find that an electric fan heater on high for about 10 minutes brings the cabin well up to temperature, then we turn it onto low which at worst maintains the temperature even with 3 or 4 degree outside temperature. 

Translate a moderately roomy 45' cabin into what you have, and I strongly suspect that whilst you would get a moderate amount of warmth out of a 2KW unit you will be unable to warm the entire volume to a comfortable temperature when you really need it, or, it may take quite some time to achieve the warmth.

Remember that when warming any room ( be it on land or sea ) you firstly warm the air, and then warm the furniture, walls, etc. Only once all the contents of the room are at room temperature are you able to reduce the heating input to what is truly "maintenance" input.  That is why when you turn a heater on for 20 minutes and the air temperature feels good, if you turn it off, even in a fairly well insulated house, it cools off fairly rapidly again.

We have been discussing the option of moving to a Marina for a few months in winter, the cost would be close to that of buying and installing a diesel heater.

Plus GH are not accepting liveaboards. (Who does these days?)

My reason for asking was because if you had tried using an electric heater and found it sufficient, then a 2.4Kw unit would suffice, if not, a 4Kw unit might be more the requirement.

I have on occasion seen the state of the power demand on marinas when people are tinkering on their vessels in the winter - 300 amps per phase is nothing when people turn on heaters. And that is not in a large marina. Scary stuff!. 

Angela is pushing the woolly jumpeer plan, but I know heer and she thinks Auckland is colder than she wants to be. So I am trying to avoid a possible issue.

4kw seems to be the number, but more than iu want to spend for what will be one winter. Back to two woolly jumpers.

The bigger question is why go cruising where its cold enough to have to deploy a heater, really??

Ive spent a lot of time in Stewart Island and the southern outying islands but that was working on a commercial fishing boat and while I would consider cruising Stewart island in the summer I can't see any benefits and/or enjoyment being in those latitudes or anywhere that a heater is required.

If you want to see icebergs glance in the freezer while filling your glass before conjuring up a nice mojito or something.

Whats more when its that cold the butter is hard too spread on toast and Ive never ever seen someone overcome by frostbite while sitting underneath a palm tree.