Sanding and painting deck

I have started sanding some deck surfaces and some teak.  I am going to use Awlwood on the teak, and start with 2 roll on coats of Awlgrip 545 primer on the deck before sanding and spraying topcoats.

The 545 Primer PDS says Gelcoat/Fiberglass: Sand with 100-150 grit paper

The old white paint is very rough and is coming off easy enough and I am going to fair a few dings etc with west and micro-balls etc....  I seem to be back to a slightly yellow primer coat.

So my question is really how smooth a surface do you need to get a great final finish,  whats the best way to be able to see imperfections or scratches as you sand out to 150 grit paper?

We've used a blue stain product in the undercoats to assist with sanding and spotting imperfections. think it s called a "guide coat" for sanding. We used the international range when doing our deck and cabin top, but fairly sure the brand doesn't matter with a guide coat. Wipe it on to the undercoat wit ha rag, sand until its gone, but no more.

That's what I'm talking about. Don't recall it being 3M, but the owner was purchasing it, I was the grunt doing the sanding. Does the exact same job, even if we used a different brand. I do know the stuff we used was blue.

Dramatically improves the time and quality of sanding, especially when you are doing white surfaces and it is impossible to see where you have been.

My way , 17 years ago I did my decks on timber yacht wich need doing again now. My old fathers method was and works , sand to scuff all areas. Undercote , then use builders bog. Car bog type , quick drying , pink stuff , and fill the entire deck fill every scratch and mark , an hour later sand with 100 grit , orbital or hand it's not hard , then another two cotes of under cote , the paint soaked through the bog solidifying it for the top cote , then sand smooth , mask out the gloss boarders paint them with top lac , two cotes , then I use Tredgrip. With rubber granules In the paint , it looks like 80 grit paper when finnished and last years , you never have to remove it it does it it's self when it's had enough and you just touch it up , I am doing the same at pres , I looked at the other deck grips with the textured rollers and concluded it will look flat in time , hold dirt , and won't make 17 years , nor hold me in 30 knots doing a sail change at 30 deg , Mine is still ok , the color is fine. Grip is fine discoloured a little ,in places I am not rubbing off the old paint just doing over it with the new. It works and looks good , its soft under foot and grips sea boots well scrubs clean if you stain it just roll on some more

• Upvote 1