Knot Me... maybe

Gas bottles

I got told by gas bottle tester guy in Westmoreland St Ponsnoby that LPG bottles lying on side in a boat was verboten for all reasons that have been

highlighted by other posts. In fact he asked me if it was for a boat, I stupidly said yes and he hit me with it (with the reasons not the bottle :)

Seems sensible really - after all who wants to try scorched earth tactics inside the boat. Taking the 'flame grilled' thing a little far IMO.

I wish it were different - my boat was in category 1 many years ago & had bottles on side but no longer allowed. Finding a site for a gas locker that vents directly overboard, but still visually acceptable and conveniently placed is a pain in the arse.

KM will you pass category inspection once you have done mods? Assuming you do expect that and achieve it I'd be interested to

know what u did.

I was thinking of putting up a sign saying "No cookin on starboard, bitches" but am informed that if I did, the sign itself is non compliant and may bring me more trouble than I could imagine...

In fact I can feel a demerit point from the PC brigade coming my way. I'm joking about the sign, relax...

My problem is the cradle in which bottles are stowed is set up so that they lay athwartships, all good until you go to

starboard, then the neck becomes lowest point and apparently - its all on.

KM will you pass category inspection once you have done mods? Assuming you do expect that and achieve it I'd be interested to

know what u did.

As I'm having a surprisingly hard time finding people who know that work in the gas bottle industry I doubt any YNZ Inspection will have any better clues.

All I'm doing is bending a tube, that's all the forklift one has a std doesn't...plus a 'this way up' due to the safety blow off valves. My bottles will also have a top and a bottom after the tweak.

Rest assured I'm far to pretty to go blowing my arse up just yet so the bottles will be fully retested after the mods.

Hope it gets passed and would be grateful if you will keep me informed.

Previously I got told it wasn't ok, and think it is to do with the range of motion that yacht can go through - unlike a fork truck which is relatively stable. Stable = predictable liquid level in the tank, and all you have to do is make sure the end of curly tube thing remains above that at all times, pretty simple really. Yachts = not that stable and so not so easy to predict where the liquid level will be.

I would think that bottle orientation is important. Good luck with that anyway

Hope it gets passed and would be grateful if you will keep me informed.

Previously I got told it wasn't ok, and think it is to do with the range of motion that yacht can go through - unlike a fork truck which is relatively stable. Stable = predictable liquid level in the tank, and all you have to do is make sure the end of curly tube thing remains above that at all times, pretty simple really. Yachts = not that stable and so not so easy to predict where the liquid level will be.

I would think that bottle orientation is important. Good luck with that anyway

The tube can go in the liquid, it does on forklift bottles. So one would assume a tubeless valve should be fine in it as well.

About the only thing people have said is keep the safety valve out of the liquid but otherwise there seems little else. One would expect if lying them on there side was a big issue every bottle would have a big sticker saying that in these days of rampant H&S. It's all quite strange really as there are many saying 'don't' but nothing official saying or showing concern. I think what we maybe seeing is lots of 'old school' that just hasn't caught up with today, that is common all over the show.

The problem I have is I only have 'fuel lockers' above deck so if the bottles aren't in those they will have to be downstairs or lashed to stanchions/mainsheet traveller/mast base/rudder or some equally dangerous place. If I do a long SSANZ race they will augmented by 4 more tote tanks (above the Cat 1 fuel load) of somewhat explosive petrol needing to be stash as well. As you can imagine the safety aspects, on everything from fireballs to stubbing my toes, of that are beyond scary so rather than cause the inevitable sh*t fight by exercising my right as skipper not take that stuff, I am trying to find a way we can satisfy the land lubbers without the crew having to race her in 'suicide bomber configuration'. The lockers aren't tall enough to have stand up bottles.

Fun times :roll:

I'll update stuff here as it happens for you R.