Knot Me... maybe

Gas bottles

Around 1980 we built a kauri lotus 10.6 and fitted 2 standard 10kg bottles lying on their side, I am fairly sure they had a pickup tube bent to one side and the bottles had to be used a certain way up.

We had them under the bridge deck at the front end of the cockpit with a valve handle with a couple of prongs through the bulkhead that meshed with the gas bottle valve so you could turn the gas on and off from inside the boat.

I wish it were different - my boat was in category 1 many years ago & had bottles on side but no longer allowed. Finding a site for a gas locker that vents directly overboard, but still visually acceptable and conveniently placed is a pain in the arse.

My gas locker is internal, within the cockpit locker. I'm looking at ducting it into the cockpit drain. medium sized hose, with a flanged fitting into the bottom of the gas bottle locker, and a tee into the cockpit drain, near or at the transom fitting. Fall all the way.

Anyone see any problems with that?

That should be OK Fish. As long as things vent downhill then overboard you should be fine. Just as long as your drain doesn't hold water and create a block. I am a great believer in Murphys Law so try to ensure he can't o what he does.

My lockers have a 40mm vent into the motor well so can vent down then out thru the bottom of that.

Pretty sure Matt is correct. I'd advise getting a safety inspector to tell u wot to do, after all they are the one to please.

Or just ditch LPG and go diesel or kero powered cooking units.

But I don't want cat 1, and I'm not doing this for a safety inspector. I just want to stooge around the Gulf and thought it'd be a good idea to reduce the risk of an lpg explosion by getting a couple of plumbing fittings and a half hour job.

It would be a hell of a lot better than the set up now, which mets safety regs under the grandfather clause....

It's like saying "don't do something that is safer, cause the safety regs don't allow it", good grief. I might take up chess or something equally as tedious.

actually its the gas fitting laws I think, ANY changes to an existing install must meet the current regs.

I was told by a gas fitter that if they come down to address an issue and see anything that doesn't comply to the current regulations in your system that they are supposed to bring the whole lot up to standard - if the owner doesn't want that done it is documented on some website which it stays on until the work has been brought up to current standards . This means that what was originally a small job can balloon out to a major and is why a lot of gasfitters don't even want to do marine work anymore