Forward mounted live view camera

I'm looking at doing a bit of single-handed cruising and yesterday I had an idea. What if I took a GoPro or similar and mounted it to a telescoping pole and attached it at the bow when entering areas with the potential for underwater obstructions for an aerial view that I could see on a screen from the cockpit? I had thought about mounting something up the mast like a car reversing camera but thought this might be a lot simpler as it needs no wiring, just a pole, a camera and a screen with a wifi connection like a phone or tablet. Useful or wasting my time?

How about just adding a $1000 fwd scan transducer to your B&G system, and you can see underwater - out to 8x the depth of the water in front. Its a proven system and great in coral or poorly charted areas. Like radar, but for underwater.

Yes, I had looked at forward-scanning transducers but not everyone necessarily wants to spend the money or put another hole in their boat. Just thought so many people seem to have a GoPro these days and a phone/tablet with them that this was a relatively simple way of using what you might already have with you. Could even mount the GoPro to a boathook. The other plus is you could do underwater inspections without getting wet.

How about just adding a $1000 fwd scan transducer to your B&G system,

Yikes, just the Transducer is that much? or does it include a special fwd sounder head unit that plugs into the Vulcan unit? I was thinking of this thing in the future. Maybe distant future perhaps.

No, it's not.$1000 nzd incl GST from me to any crew.org member...

Wheels, your lucky, only the later Vulcans have the built in sonar processor - the early ones needed a sonar hub as well.

The fwd scan transducer comes with a stainless through hull fitting, as because it is proud of the hull, it's more prone to impacts. It's designed to break off without damaging the through hull or allowing water ingress.

• Upvote 1

No, it's not.$1000 nzd incl GST from me to any crew.org member...

Wheels, your lucky, only the later Vulcans have the built in sonar processor - the early ones needed a sonar hub as well.

The fwd scan transducer comes with a stainless through hull fitting, as because it is proud of the hull, it's more prone to impacts. It's designed to break off without damaging the through hull or allowing water ingress.

Good to know, thanks.