I just got a verbal warning for sanding boat on a Sunday

that's exactly the case IT.  There's no set noise limits but excessive noise is clearly defined in the Resource Management Act here!

http://www.legislation.govt.nz/act/public/1991/0069/latest/DLM238589.htm

don't know where AC's times allowing for excessive noise are set

the sooner this PoS legislation is repealed and tidied up the better.

According to the noise rules in Chapter E25 of the Unitary Plan, you can be as noisy on Sunday as you can on Monday to Saturday, just for a shorter time when your doing your "home handyman work."

AUP Noise Limits.JPG

nice work Adrian.  There ya go Zozz - ring the council and advise them that the noise you were making was fully compliant with E blah blah blah of the Unitary plan and so you don't recognise the END and as such it shoudl be withdrawn.

Wonder why is there no mention of the unitary plan standards on the noise control section of the council website.  It is like two different policies.

That's because the council doesn't actually want you to know the policy. All the council wants if you to say "Yes, sir. Sorry, sir. Won't happen again, sir..." to the clipboard-weilding council jobsworth.

That's because the council doesn't actually want you to know the policy. All the council wants if you to say "Yes, sir. Sorry, sir. Won't happen again, sir..." to the clipboard-weilding council jobsworth.

Well I have some news.

On the back of Freeeedom's unitary plan posting, I just have got off the phone to the council and laid a complaint.

The Council worker actually agreed with me that the noise control part of their website appears not to match the unitary plan, the unitary plan being that you can indeed do DIY on sundays between 9am-6pm at 50db, and you can go over 75db for short periods according to that table.

I could not believe I got a council worker actually agreeing with me!

She is going to look into it and promises to come back directly to me advising exactly what noises I can and cannot make on a Sunday.  She asked me if the security / noise officer took any measurements, I advised her "No, he just gave a verbal warning I had to stop". "Interesting" she said.

So...more to come on this.  We DIY'ers might be in for a win here...will keep you posted.

The Council worker actually agreed with me that the noise control part of their website appears not to match the unitary plan, the unitary plan being that you can indeed do DIY on sundays between 9am-6pm at 50db, and you can go over 75db for short periods according to that table.

I could not believe I got a council worker actually agreeing with me!

She is going to look into it and promises to come back directly to me advising exactly what noises I can and cannot make on a Sunday.  She asked me if the security / noise officer took any measurements, I advised her "No, he just gave a verbal warning I had to stop". "Interesting" she said.

So...more to come on this.  We DIY'ers might be in for a win here...will keep you posted.

Well you know exactly what to do next Sunday don't you. Print of the Unit plan and then go make noise. When the dude comes around showing of his shiny badge of Mr Importance, firstly ask for his measuring device. If he can't produce one, hand him a copy and tell him to go away and read it. If he does produce one, ask him if he is qualified to use it. If he says yes, call his bluff and ask if he is using the "A, B, C, D or Z weighted" measurements? I reckon he would give you a blank look. You could even get real techy and throw in "ITU-R 468 noise weighting".

"A weighted" is the usual measurement used for Environmental and Industrial noise. It uses a mathematical formula of correction or "weighting" to the measurement, to compensate for how our hearing works.

Then there is the point at where the measurement is to be taken. Which should the Boundary Fence.

I reckon you would baffle him with some B..... "Brilliance" and he might slink off with tail between legs.

I make a hell of a racket when working on my boat but to help cover that I wind the stereo right up. Luckily most of my neighbours are housing corp so pissed, on meth, P or just chillaxing with some electric puha, to be concerned. I do try to stop by 9.30pm though.

Loving your follow up work on this Zozza, keep us informed.

I thought boat owners are "Rich Pricks" and there you are KM living in a neighbourhood that would make Breaking Bad proud!

Well you know exactly what to do next Sunday don't you. Print of the Unit plan and then go make noise. When the dude comes around showing of his shiny badge of Mr Importance, firstly ask for his measuring device. If he can't produce one, hand him a copy and tell him to go away and read it. If he does produce one, ask him if he is qualified to use it. If he says yes, call his bluff and ask if he is using the "A, B, C, D or Z weighted" measurements? I reckon he would give you a blank look. You could even get real techy and throw in "ITU-R 468 noise weighting".

"A weighted" is the usual measurement used for Environmental and Industrial noise. It uses a mathematical formula of correction or "weighting" to the measurement, to compensate for how our hearing works.

Then there is the point at where the measurement is to be taken. Which should the Boundary Fence.

I reckon you would baffle him with some B..... "Brilliance" and he might slink off with tail between legs.

LOL, the dude was wearing one of those sikh scarve things on his head and was from some security firm..was legit as I rang the council soon as he left- I kid you not. It's obviously beneath actual council workers themselves to get off their chuff on a Sunday so they farm it out to security firms.

You do realize that noise control cannot enter your property to measure the noise.It must be done from the road side.Did you ask to see his/her decibel reading machine??cannot go by ear alone.

Total madness - Sure, I wouldn't want a full time panel beater next door but common sense has served us pretty well until now.

Must have been 40 odd years ago my Mum said not before 9 on a Saturday morning and 10 on a Sunday. So far no complaints....

Got a call from council.

The pointed me towards the table below.  He basically said to avoid loud noises on Sunday to avoid the hassle of neighbours phoning the council., or if it will only be for short periods, then do the whole door knocking thing.

An addendum this table says if you work for less than 15 days, the above levels increase by 5dB. ie 80dB Mon - Sat etc.

Still, its a pretty restrictive table in my opinion when you look at the table I have also included of the noises common DIY tools make.

Anyway, as I have / will be needing way more than 15 days to complete my refit, I am not going to bother to fight the council pr#cks on this.  If they truly enforced the levels in the table on all DIY projects then that would basically be then end of all DIY for everyone in Auckland, which just shows how stupid the whole thing is.  I truly do not want some officious pr#ck with a clip-board coming round and shutting down my whole refit.  I can't afford boat yard storage fees, and it is so handy having my boat at home to work on when I want.

Noise levels.GIF

Top Ten DIY Noises.GIF

So they actually introduced a bylaw that means you can't mow your lawns at any stage on the weekend??? 

Perhaps an "organised" campaign of lodging complaints so they drown in their own utter stupidity would be more effective than objecting?

What you actually need to do when the noise control doodahs come round, is get them to go and measure the noise level at the complainants property. Your lawn mower might well have a maximum sound output of 95dB, but from memory, that is the level measured at a distance of 1metre. Again, I can't recall off the top of my head what the attenuation of sound in free air is, but there's a good chance that the sound generated by the mower has been attenuated over distance to below the 75dB allowed. AND you get to find out which of the neighbours is being a pain.......

For comparison, normal speech is about 55dB, and my ears start to hurt at around 90dB.

Aye  -  rules made up and applied by people with no understanding of acoustics.