Howdy, I'm thinking of planning a trip up there to get the family onto the idea of cruising with a day trip or two around Able Tasman and Motueka looks like the closest most suitable launching area.

Looking on the charts the depth looks ok, I draw 0.46m with the keel up. Are there any other things to be mindful of? Is the bar tricky?

Thanks

Nah, you'll be fine. The bar can be working, especially in an outgoing tide and onshore wind. Common in the afternoon, as a sea breeze. As always check the forecast. Heaps of trailer yachts in Able Tasman, many dry out in the lagoons, usually using lagoon legs. It's a great place! The family will love it :-)

Keep an eye out for another Trailer Sailor by the name of Hawkeye. That's my Cousin and he has just moved from Wellington back to CHCH, where he grew up. He and his own family have spent yrs sailing from Wellington Harbor across to Able Tasman and this last summer, he Towed the Boat up there. So he will have lots of good info for you. He will also be spending a lot more time sailing Lyttleton harbor where he grew up Sailing with his Parents and siblings sailing.