Insurers, the good, the bad & the ugly?

OK, the yacht purchase is getting closer so I need to look at some insurance. Recommendations of who to call and who not to call? Good and bad experiences welcome. What do I need to be aware of and what should the policy cover? At this stage, it's for coastal cruising around NZ and being on a mooring.

we had good experiences with lumley marine. 

do you already have a mooring? there may be issues around mooring location and specific insurers, too. iirc, lumley wouldn't insure in okahu bay (5 years ago anyhow).

we had good experiences with lumley marine. 

do you already have a mooring? there may be issues around mooring location and specific insurers, too. iirc, lumley wouldn't insure in okahu bay (5 years ago anyhow).

Not yet, but working on it. Looking for something in the Tamaki River around Half Moon Bay/Little Bucks if I can.

San Fran - sounds like you're not far from me. I'm second last at the southern end of that mooring field. Yeh the growth is something to behold - it's the green slime I'm struggling with.

PIC Insurance is also worth looking into. They have a specific marine team.

Don't use NZI - had a launch insured with them anchor on top of me and drag - enough damage for a claim and NZI refused to cough up because they believe once the anchor is down he isn't liable !!!! Luckily ,my insurance company ( Topsail) paid out and is having to probably pay more than the claim is worth in lawyers fees to get NZI to change their stance

lumleys was good to me when I had a total loss, house/cars at state but boat was over the top, I am with youi,(I know the stories) but the price is right,no survey required on a 35+yr old yacht,just is the mooring recently surveyed,Don't know what their claims are like never made one.but the policy looks ok been with them 3yrs.

Another one for Mariner. Like the earlier poster I started with the Mortimers/Mariner when I launched my 88 in '88 and have been with them since. I have had some big claims, several rigs, sails, damaged topsides etc and while my premiums went skyhigh for a while I stuck with them as no-one wanted to insure 88 bumper boats at the time. Haven't had claim now in 15 years. I occasionally look at different insurers and Mariner have been responsive to looking at and adjusting my premium.

Well, it seems that I have a few names for the short list so far, Bailey's Insurance Brokers, Lumley, Mariner Marine Insurance, and PIC Insurance and I may or may not need a survey. Anything else?