• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Would be great to see the grieving family receive the fine imposed on Ports of Auckland. POAL owned by the people but a grubby incident fuelled by corporate denials and evasions that inevitably p

I feel sorry for all involved and especially the man's family.  As a yacht, speed boat and launch owner (not all at once) I can say that it takes a huge amount of concentration to spot even a kayak on

Iv found the kayakers between Rangitoto and Okahu Bay the worst, sometimes the lead one will have a flag a metre or so above LWL and there will be a trail of targets , stragglers sometimes up to 50m b

Posted Images

1 minute ago, splat said:

the diagram upthread appears to only restrict power driven vessels to max of 12 knots not sailing...although not sure how the cha

se boats get round this one

Those gas guzzling tenders and the accompanying spy craft are regularly carving up the inner harbour at excessive speeds.

I have in the past been given exemption from the 12kt rule by the harbour master for a safety/support boat as long as it has a flag or distinguishing markings, still need to follow all other rules however 

2 hours ago, Jon said:

The Waiheke ferry’s are over 500ts and operating with in harbour limits so you are required to keep clear at all times, they do tend to try to avoid you but that’s curtesy on their part

This is not what I was taught on the Coastguard Boatmaster course.  They told us that the Waiheke passenger ferries were under 500 tons, so we don't need to give way to them. Only ferries we need to give way to are Great Barrier and Waiheke car ferries. 

Maybe that has changed in the last 15 years though with bigger passenger ferries being puchased?

5 hours ago, ex Elly said:

This is not what I was taught on the Coastguard Boatmaster course.  They told us that the Waiheke passenger ferries were under 500 tons, so we don't need to give way to them. Only ferries we need to give way to are Great Barrier and Waiheke car ferries. 

Maybe that has changed in the last 15 years though with bigger passenger ferries being puchased?

Jon is right. Give way to ferries on scheduled routes, size is not relevant.

5 hours ago, Kevin McCready said:

I've asked before here but haven't had a response. Why do Auckland ferries seem to create such massive rooster tails? Surely the captains know their boat parameters (hull and planing speeds) and know that applying more gas is just a waste of fuel?

Hull design and drive systems, some are jets and at least one dabbles with a surface drive like system. But that doesn't mean burning excess fuel as most boats when planing use less than when in displacement mode, just like a car uses lots to get to speed but once there it tapers right off. Also like many other boats, inc my 3mt dingy, at speed the wake is a lot smaller than when slower.

The new ferries built by Q-West in NZ, huge pat on the back to Fullers for building new in NZ, were designed to be low wake and they are very much so.

15 hours ago, Knot Me... maybe said:

Jon is right. Give way to ferries on scheduled routes, size is not relevant.

Interesting, I heard the opposite from an ex ferry master - he found it frustrating that stand on vessels didn't hold their course and speed and gave way when they shouldn't. Made situations harder to anticipate and manage.

I was taught they have right of way if the yellow lights flashing as above, as for the 500t rule if they are a lot bigger than me I use the might is right rule.

I did some digging yesterday and couldn’t find it however,
Auckland seems to be the only place where the ferry’s give way.

I’ve sail half the world near enough and everywhere else you would either get chewed a new arsehole over the vhf or a fine and this including other harbours in nz

2 hours ago, Dagwood said:

Interesting, I heard the opposite from an ex ferry master - he found it frustrating that stand on vessels didn't hold their course and speed and gave way when they shouldn't. Made situations harder to anticipate and manage.

I'd say anyone who assumed any boat/s coming at them knows the rules is a very brave bugger or just stupid.

Like Jon I use the 'might is right' rule....but I do also make effort to keep out of the ferries way, they are on the job and I'm often not plus be nice to them and as we see quite often they will be nice in return.