DrWatson

Pogo 36

The Doc is probably out sailing on that machine of his.

Bumped because we did another dinghy trip over to Windsor landing on saturday,Docs area. We met a lovely local woman, Betty, and chatted on her ramp about the goings on.

Latest in the news is that fish traps around the northern edge might have cultural significance, preventing the council developing road access to the landing they own.

It's kind of funny, like an episode of dad's army from the 70s.

Have ramp, have queens chain, ohhh...forgot to get a driveway across private land so we can get to it.

Now we've been here a little while we're getting to understand a little bit more of the politics in the inlet.

Existing boat ramps are under pressure or quite poor, even dangerous atvtimes,so the council and various lobby groups are seeking more or better.

That means Windsor landing because of the existing ramp, wharf and pontoon, and a massive reclamation for parking and ramps at Rangitane.

Well, the Doc has been out and done some sailing, but he's more recently been spending his days at the hospital sitting in the neonatal unit watching his new (and incredibly tiny) second son. 1.9kg and a month early.

But it's true, I should post some photos and a few more words about the sailing.

At Windsor landing, Betty is lovely. She lets us use her ramp to launch our Welsford Navigator, and we can walk there in about 10 minutes. 

In general though, the public ramp down there is a bit of a disaster as it'll take considerable dredging to make it even a half tide ramp. The size of boat that can be launched would be limited. The easiest solution regarding building a parking facility would be to fairly purchase the empty section that people currently drive over (if necessary the public works act could be invoked I guess). This would spare the fish traps and all the cool natural features at the Northern end.

So here are some general shots of cruising around Brittany.

Everyone here uses day shapes, even in designated anchorages. In fact the rules for lights and shapes are very well adhered to

gallery_123_40_5860841.jpg

Old fishing boats driven up on the shore in Camaret sur Mer.

gallery_123_40_4329718.jpg

gallery_123_40_1440979.jpg

Gratuitous summer shot... the water was 14 °C....

gallery_123_40_1224042.jpg

It's a really good cockpit for lounging and entertaining. Lunch somewhere in Isle d Glenan.

gallery_123_40_343906.jpg

A well sailed local boat in L'Aberlach (sp?). They came steaming in like this, let the jib fly, rounded up and shot up into the wind coming to a stop perfectly beside the mooring buoy, which was neatly picked up and made fast. jib dropped and main then lowered all in about 2min. 

gallery_123_40_2417797.jpg

Coming into Lorient with all the IMOCAs coming out. pretty amazing boats.

gallery_123_40_2410343.jpg

Hauling out for winter storage. That's about half tide...

gallery_123_40_1859912.jpg

Congratulations and thanks for the photos.

Further to Windsor landing and coincidental to our visit,and to pass on the latest news..... I read just last night of a Rahui placed on any development of the ramp area past what is there now because of the fish traps and proposed dredging, and the impact that will have on the inlet.

So that's actually big news and probably will kill the council plans there. That's good news for the locals I think, but it will mean more effort and weight behind the rather over the top plans for the Rangitane side involving reclamation of a rather astonishing scale.

On 21/01/2020 at 11:58 AM, DrWatson said:

gallery_123_40_1224042.jpg

Wish I’d got my boat before kids, much harder the other way around. 

I have two comments about this photo...

The compulsory emergency ladder hanging out, same thing happens on my father’s boat all the time. We’ve solved it by removing the ring pull and replacing it with a knot that hangs down and doesn’t snag on the tender.

What is the stern ladder? Looks interesting.

Yeah the compulsory ladder, while important, does have a tendency to pop open unless it's been packed away perfectly. 

The wooden boarding ladder is something I knocked up in a hurry as a temporary fix until I can make a super light one. We decided on the boat when C was 4 months pregnant. So we got the kids and the boat at the same time, pretty much. a little difficult, but hopefully it will be worth it when we're making family holidays when the kids a little older. But it came at the cost of not buying a house...

20 hours ago, DrWatson said:

Yeah the compulsory ladder, while important, does have a tendency to pop open unless it's been packed away perfectly. 

The wooden boarding ladder is something I knocked up in a hurry as a temporary fix until I can make a super light one. We decided on the boat when C was 4 months pregnant. So we got the kids and the boat at the same time, pretty much. a little difficult, but hopefully it will be worth it when we're making family holidays when the kids a little older. But it came at the cost of not buying a house...

If the compulsory ladder is the same as the Dad’s on the Jeaneau, then it is relatively unsupported internally and will fatigue and break of when hit but an slightly lazy ferry from a local cafe

Please post pictures of your light weight solution when you get one made, intrigued to see what you come up with.

The family holidays will be AWESOME!