Cat 1 certificate validity

Had an interesting chat with a former safety inspector on the weekend. We were talking about the cruisers waiting for Cyclone Donna to sort herself out and he mentioned that a Cat 1 certificate is only valid for one month from date of issue.

So some of the yachts sitting up in the BOI who obtained their certificates around mid April might be put in the position of having to obtain a new certificate before being able to depart.

There is nothing in the safety regs about this, it would be interesting to hear from someone who has a current certificate if this is correct.

If this is confirmed, yet another example of YNZ "helping" us, I will need to send an email to Angus

A yacht left for the islands last year from B.o.I, for personal reasons had to return when only 80 miles into the trip, had to re-do their cat 1 as the moment their clearance was processed, cat 1 became cat 2. Therefore they were unable to get clearance when a week or so later they set off again without re-applying and paying once again for cat 1 clearance.

Had an interesting chat with a former safety inspector on the weekend. We were talking about the cruisers waiting for Cyclone Donna to sort herself out and he mentioned that a Cat 1 certificate is only valid for one month from date of issue.

So some of the yachts sitting up in the BOI who obtained their certificates around mid April might be put in the position of having to obtain a new certificate before being able to depart.

There is nothing in the safety regs about this, it would be interesting to hear from someone who has a current certificate if this is correct.

If this is confirmed, yet another example of YNZ "helping" us, I will need to send an email to Angus

This is nothing new. The YNZ Safety Regulations 2017-20 Part II section 3.05 states

3.05 For Category 1 races, a certificate must have been issued immediately prior to each race following a special inspection. On completion of  the race or passage, a Category 1 certificate reverts to Category 2 and is then valid for 2 years from date of issue.

Previous Safety Regulations have had the same clause.

So once out side the 12 mile limit your on your own cat 2 , in other words , you left New Zealand cat 1 Paper work ticked , nothing changed on the boat , money payed thankyou very much by by ,

Must be some other piece of legislation that applies as the YNZ guideline would seem worded sufficiently enough to be applied pragmatically. Either that or some beaurcrats being overtly officious.

How old can a Cat 1 be valid for before you actually leave - 1 day, 10 days, 30 days 90 days, 2 years?

I know it has always been the case that once you clear customs and head off your Cat 1 certificate lapses. My point is about yachts doing the right thing and waiting for the weather to clear before departing who may see their certificates lapse due to this 1 month validity. Clause 3.05 does not address this.

5 mins reading the YNZ regs provides the answer.

Under Part III - it states "An Inspection Certificate is valid for one clearance only and expires at first port of call, and then reverts to a Category II for 2 years." - another example of ambiguity in this document.

I know of a few yachts over the years that have had a false start and have been issued new paperwork on the same cert,

"just in case they ask why it's taken you so long at the other end"

If you ask it's probably not officially done but in the real world if your polite and don't take it for granted then your fine.

The leaving part is BS really when you can enter and leave most countries around the world on the same day maybe days after you've arrived and days before your leaving

The MPI and customs thing coming in is fine by me but the rest is a joke

It's really up to the skipper to see that his boat is up to a standard befor he leaves with the right gear on it for his crew if there is a prob BUT some cheat and never get caught out , then there the other who do ,,once again good old New Zealand has these blue coats strutting around with a compliance forms who have made themselves an industry with a charge with no responsibility or come back after you leave But there are some boats I have seen that I would never go to sea , you just don't know what you are going to come up against .some charter boats I have seen over seas are shocking in my view ,but they are booked out and still going , it's a good thing if it helps .

IMO there is a lot of crap posted here about Cat 1 requirements.

A NZ registered vessel must be to Cat 1 and be certified to be issued clearance. Cat 1 standard is not much, if at all different, to what I do to prepare my boat for offshore anyway. The rules are based around years and years of data about what has gone wrong in the past, and what might help. In my experience, the Cat 1 inspectors are mostly good, experienced sailors who are not rule sticklers - if you have good reasons for something alternative etc. 

I do think though, $1000 for a 5 year registration, which serves no other purpose than a piece of paper to placate officials, is a bit expensive. Most other countries are similar costs now though.

My boat has a centre cockpit and my toilet inlet and my electric bilge pump feed out of and into tnem to get cat 1 i would need to poke 2 more holes in my boat as cockpit ddrains need to be exclusive ,wheres the sense in that.It amuses me that any old shitheap can sail coastal wwhich imho is rougher and tougher that most stuff you ever see offshore