I may have found my first yacht! Looking for surveyor in Waikawa/Marlborough?

Hi everyone,

I've been searching for my first boat for a while, and I have a particular interest in boats such as well set-up Cavalier 32s and Contessa 32s. I have now seen a boat that looks really interesting to me, so this might be the one! :)

It's a solid GRP 32ft yacht from the mid-1980s, 32ft. I've googled and searched this forum, but I can't seem to find information on a recommended marine surveyor in the Marlborough/Nelson region who could do a pre-purchase inspection for me.

Is there anyone you would recommend?

In Picton / Marlborough, Richard Clausen. He's doing one for me today. Contact him through Elite Refinishing - he has just sold his business, Clausen boatbuilders, to Elite Refinishing, but is still doing surveys. Or pm me for his number.

• Upvote 1

We didn't get a rigging inspection when we bought ours last year in Nelson and a few weeks later discovered a crack in the mast - so I'd also recommend getting a rigging inspection. Hurricane rigging would be my rec for that.

Hi everyone, by way of an update:

Since my last post, I've met the owner, who has been really great and helpful. I've had a first look at the boat, which was a very positive experience. Since then I've made an offer, offer got accepted, and had a wonderful day of sailing in the Queen Charlotte Sound as a sea trial. Thanks to your suggestions, I've been in touch with both Richard Clausen for a survey and Matt from Hurricane rigging, and they're going to check out the boat next week.

I've probably fallen in love a little bit, so I really hope the survey works out! :)

The boat is a Sadler 32 — designed by David Sadler, who first designed the famous Contessa 32 and created the Sadler based on his experiences with the Contessa 32.

As far as I know, this particular Sadler 32 was built by Fortuna Yachts in South Africa, and launched in 1986. It took part in the Cape to Rio transatlantic yacht race, and after Rio it sailed north to the US. From there it sailed to Greece, where it was owned by an English couple who kept it on the hard and sailed it around Greece for three months every year. Eventually someone bought it who sailed it to New Zealand, and most recently the current owner has sailed it around both the North and South islands.

She's comfortable, set up really nicely for single handed sailing and everything is very straightforward. I am looking forward to many adventures!

I'll let you know how the survey works out. Fingers crossed!

Honey.jpg

• Upvote 2