Fish

Queens Birthday jokes

Two jokes for Queens Birthday;

Dame Julie Christie;

Sir John Key.

There was a time you had to make a notable contribution to the country to get Knighted.

Julie Christie axed quality journalism and brought us "reality TV", oh, and made sure no media organisation allowed bad press for the National Party

John Key, well, did his job for 8 years, screwed up a flag referendum, and ??? 

Meanwhile, further down on the list are some worthy recipients,

Sir Graeme Dingle - services to Youth

Sir Michael Jones - services to the Pacific Community

Putting aside any political bias, what has John Key done to warrant a Knighthood? Happy to listen to some legit reasons, if anyone can find one.

Sir Ed Hilary, Sir Peter Blake, and the MP for Helensville, joke.

This crony-ism, Kighthoods for your mates, seriously devalues the 'honour'.

There has never been a time in as long as I remember Fish. I guess there once was when the King/Queen chose who they would Knight.
Simply, if we all got together and paid some coin, we could have IT knighted for his services to our Sailing community of Crew.org. It's as simple as that. This is the problem with the "system", that no purpose group come together and look at a list of those that have achieved something of note and then chose a name or two. And this is what has really made the Honors rather a lame Duck. Honors need to be something rather special. Like winning the Nobel Peace Award. A very special achievement.

piloted the country successfully

for 9 years through 

the GFC + 2 major earthquakes?

vs

media + sporting personalities...

Thanks to Michael Cullen making sure the horrendous debt that the previous Bolger / Shipley National Govt. had left us with was paid off before the GFC at end of '08 hit, instead of giving in to the Rich Boys (Crooks) of the 'Business Round Table' and their incessant calls for Tax Cuts so they could have two holiday houses in the Caymans instead of just one.

John Key had it easy when the GFC hit due to this. Meant he could actually borrow when he really needed too.  He should lick Michael Cullen's boots -- at least - ironically considering the theme of this thread - they gave Cullen a knighthood. About the only good thing Key did in his 9 years in power....apart from leaving almost all Labour economic and social policies untouched.

lots of respect for cullen

for parker too

but labour appear to have junked fiscal responsibility when they junked parker

Well, I am with you on that. I wouldn't touch the current Labour party with a barge poll.  Way, way, way too focussed on appeasing the feminist and rainbow factions of the party- they have lost the plot.

I read that it takes ages to get on the list for a gong. Chances are Key reinstated them and applied for it himself. ( apparently most people put themselves forward) A knighthood is probably useful in the UK but I don't think it means much here. sir robert jones, brierley fay etc. Mostly knighted for services to self.

I'm not a fan of Key but I do'nt have a problem with his gong, most ex PM's get them. As for Julie Christie are you serious ?

Though Mr Key spent a great deal of our money trying to change the flag and play down connections to the Monarchy -now apparently first in line for the knighthood?

And it was him that stopped contributions to the Cullen fund setting the whole country back many years, whilst fattening the wallets of his mates.....