Iwi blocking harbour entrance

A new kind of crazy here.

Seems they are protesting against Chris Finlayson doing a secret deal, if true I'm on their side.

http://sunlive.co.nz/news/156323-iwi-blocking-harbour-entrance.html

"The protest is not aimed at the Port of Tauranga, but instead aims to assure the Prime Minister and Minister of Treaty Negotiations that Ngai Te Rangi will not accept any Crown deal that gives rights to Tauranga Moana to a Hauraki Collective of iwi and hapu"

https://www.sunlive.co.nz/news/156332-port-company-slams-blockade.html

"It is understood that Hauraki affiliated iwi are pushing for a seat on the Tauranga Moana Governance Group currently comprising Ngai Te Rangi, Ngati Ranginui, Ngati Pukenga, plus four representatives from the three local authorities and one from the crown."

How do we know they didn't fish there? 

How does one define "customary"?

Not taking sides here, I just want to know.

might be wrong here,but pre european days there were tribes who went inland while others stayed on the coast.Take a look at Terapaha,he marched inland and decimated inland tribes.The Hauraki iwi who want to be part of Tauranga Moana,are probably the ones who settled around thames/miranda coast lines.imo if maori can prove ancestral fishing grounds they should be the legal occupiers/guardians.    Customary is not just a maori right it applies to all Nzers,it is a means to exceed daily limits for special events.Tangis etc need to apply to the local kaumatua for a permit.

i think

there are many 'legitimate' interpretations of the treaty

including those that say that 'treasurers'

had to be known + used

to be claimed as a right

150 years later 

Sabre you may be suprised to know that I actually agree with you.  However a treaty greivance industry has developed which only helps those involved in the process not those who should be getting the benefit of the settlements.

Even once a settlement is made,  who benefits?  Certain individuals and their immediate whanau seem to do extremely well out of the settlements.  But what of the iwi members at the bottom of the pile?  They get sfa. 

So remove the snouters and let the benefits of the settlements acrue to all iwi members not just some,  then and only then would I support the process.

I kind of blame the government for not after all these years settling this scrap with Maori ,they owned nothing apron arrival they said they were here first they don't know nor do we but they say they owned the land but don't have document then to prove it only sayso ,correct

Europeans(English decent)have caused nothing but harm to indigenous people where ever they went.America,werent happy until they drove the red Indians in to middle of no where and killed  the buffalo starved the people,go to Australia(Tasmania) just for fun kill the aborigine's and further more removed there children to be brought up the English way

Here in NZ,Maori may of eaten all the mariori who really knows?Next minute we are ramming our religion./way of life down their necks,we arrived uninvited.Where ever we have gone we have spread diseases.

We? I had no choice that I was born here, have no right to another passport. What does that make me? I am not a European, nor a Maori. Yet due to my colour I get blamed for acts that happened in the past. I do not hold people that were not alive at the time responsible for the killings of my family members in the past. I understand that wrongs were done and there needs to be some form of restitution.

My understanding of the current situation with the protest in Tauranga is over one iwi claiming interests in another's area and the crown combining the two claims into one. The local Iwi feels the other has no rightful claim to their area.

some of are such an easy wind up,take things to serious,anyway Maori etc may of signed an agreement /treaty but even after the event we wanted more. In this case good on Tauranga iwi to stand up against the crown.This is only stage one.Wait till the water rights gets in to full swing.

We are not responsible for what happened in previous generations. We have what we have ! My forebears were victims of English genocide and land theft too but I'm not claiming compensation.Even so  Maori were extremely lucky the French never laid claim to NZ. Or the Dutch!  Facts are that Port of Tauranga and Tauranga City have no thing to do with this. Nor do you and I. It's a National Government problem and their policy of selling out to the Maori Party. Finlayson is past his use by date and if the Treaty Industry is to continue its the English Government that should be paying. Not likely to happen so all that can be done is wind up the Treaty Trough and the party that does this will receive enormous support from the silent majority. Middle NZ has had a gutsful of Treaty gravy train. And so have the Maori  whose snouts aren't in the trough . This next election is going to be a Trump / Clinton  option...who do you want least is a conundrum coming to a polling booth near you.

• Upvote 1