Yachts in the USA

DrWatson

Wheels, I was quoted USD20,000 for deck cargo (Costa Rica) or USD28,000 for a float on (BVI) for the 36 footer

Why would you bother. You could sail it back for a fraction of that cost and have a whole lotta fun. Mind you, if your looking at a non NZ Bravaria, you'll need to get it beefed up to the NZ standards so it'll handle the kiwi conditions.

I thought it was only the Bavaria "Match"versions with long keels that had problems TL??

Word of warning to add to Wheels comment. Oceanfreight is rediculously high presently to NZ as shipping companies look to cover their losses from the last few years. We have no new lines of note to keep it competitive (yet). Dockwise is a viable option if they come here which is not often.

Dont forget duty at 5% and gst( soon to be 15%) cradles, packing airfares and survey and it starts getting expensive.

Wheels, I was quoted USD20,000 for deck cargo (Costa Rica) or USD28,000 for a float on (BVI) for the 36 footer

Why would you bother. You could sail it back for a fraction of that cost and have a whole lotta fun. Mind you, if your looking at a non NZ Bravaria, you'll need to get it beefed up to the NZ standards so it'll handle the kiwi conditions.

I thought it was only the Bavaria "Match"versions with long keels that had problems TL??

Hey Smithy, yes Im familiar with the keel issue, but what I was referring to was the new imports.

The New Zealand Bavaria importers have an in-house boat-builder that spends approx a month on each new boat strengthening areas of the boats construction and replacing undersized fittings etc. In their European market, not a lot of sailing is done in breezes over 25knts, whereas in NZ we regularly sail in 25+knts and in these conditions the boats construction weaknesses are shown up i.e. flexing decks, jib tracks pulling through etc, hence the NZ agent spends some money beefing them up for NZ conditions.

TL I would love to do the trip again but I haven't the time at present.

The beef up thing is interesting as the boat in St Lucia has done a bit of ocean sailing.

They went to the trouble of putting a wind vane steering on it so you would assume they had plans for more.

So it could be cheap because it's stressed or it could have been up-graded already.

You could get someone to sail it back but if they aren't professionals there could be insurance issues so that is why I got the quotes.

But all that aside why is the boat in St Lucia half the price of the one in NZ?

Hey Smithy, yes Im familiar with the keel issue, but what I was referring to was the new imports.

The New Zealand Bavaria importers have an in-house boat-builder that spends approx a month on each new boat strengthening areas of the boats construction and replacing undersized fittings etc. In their European market, not a lot of sailing is done in breezes over 25knts, whereas in NZ we regularly sail in 25+knts and in these conditions the boats construction weaknesses are shown up i.e. flexing decks, jib tracks pulling through etc, hence the NZ agent spends some money beefing them up for NZ conditions.

Seriously?

Man I wouldn' want to buy a boat that was produced to a design where by it wouldn't stand up well to a 35-40 knt blow. I mean if you buy a boat produced by a big manufacturer it should still be seaworthy. 35-40kts is not a hurricane and I don't think it's unreasonable to expect your boat to handle 40-45...

Quite right Squid, I wasn't looking at bringing it back to NZ, rather at just disappearing for a few years. If I come back to NZ to cruise it'll be in a more purpose built vessel, or I'll just pick (or do up) up a coaster in NZ. far less hassle with compliance etc.

Was talking to that very same boat builder (Bavarias), last Saturday night. He laughed like hell when I told of the "NZ modifications" he allegedly does. So 20 - 30 knots in NZ is more than the same in the rest of the world?

All he does is commisions the boats and puts the toys on - amazing the misinformation and rumours that are spread around, probably by the opposition. He does exactly the same work for the Hanses also but not a peep about their integrity.

Archived