aussie rules

Wheels, i dont know what your friends did, but an old girlfriend of mine migrated here from Canada and the process wasnt expensive at all. Alot of info needed, but not expensive.

If they employed immigration consultants, i could understand, but immigration consultants are only for fools, or people you cant read the instructions and fill out forms.

Try getting a US visa from NZ (outside of the usual 30 day tourist thing). First you have to call and make an appointment on an 0900 number which costs you. Then when you turn up you are frisked and relieved of your belongings. Then you travel one person at a time in the elevator for your interview (also solo).

On arrival in LA you have to be fingerprinted/iris scan/full body scan. There's more I'm sure but I have no desire to go back there so don't care.

Wheels, i dont know what your friends did, but an old girlfriend of mine migrated here from Canada and the process wasnt expensive at all. Alot of info needed, but not expensive.

Even though the Gvt says on one hand that things like Paul Henry said are a no no, on the other hand, our imagration is not all that fair to certain immigrants. The rediculous things these people had to put up with were actually quite embarrasing to think our Gvt was doing this. As KM has said before with dealings he has had with certain Gvt organisations, some very concerning comments can be made or carried out and if you are not strong enough to stand up and have the evidence to back you up, they walk over you.

Here is one incident I thought was redicluous, although on one hand I can kind of imagine a reason why, but still think it over the top. This is just one of many this family was put through. The Husband is a trained Electrician in India. Now OK, fair enough, there system has a lot to be desired, so I would expect him to have to sit the NZ exams to get qualified. But No, he is made to do the entire apprenticeship again here in NZ. He can work for only one nominated Employer. Of course our economy went legs up here in Marlborough and the Employer was out of work for him. He can not get the dole or any finacial assistance here in NZ. He is given 6 weeks to find work, or he is kicked out of the country. He has been here for nearly a year right. But he can not work for anyone else. In the end, some under the table stuff was sorted out and he was subcontracted to another sparky in another part of the country. North Island actually. The wife is not allowed to work because she does not have a work Visa. He is not allowed to do any other job in NZ and not allowed to work for anyone else because that is a requirement of his Visa. The initial costs of imagration were something around NZ$20K. They had to have a fair amount of money in reserve before they could come here. After a year, with all the hoops they had to jump through and mate some ofthem are a rip off and funding themselves till he could find more work, they have used up all their reserve money. By the way because they are not NZ citizens yet, they have to pay rediculouse amounts each to go to the Doc for their Check ups. It was something like $180 each for a family of five.

Education is not free for them yet. The list goes on.

Some friends had a small two bedroom unit that they let them use free of charge for sometime. Everyone was keeping very hush hush and my mate that was dealing with all the Authorities about thtr family had to be very careful not to incriminate them in anyway, or let on who they were. Everything was asked as "hypothetical" if you get my drift. Otherwise they were actually technically here illegally and they would have been rounded up and sent back to India with nothing. They had no home to return to back there either.

Thankfully, the Family has now moved to the NorthIsl as travel back and forward was too expensive. But till he has finished his apprenticeship, they live on a knife edge of being here or not.

But talking to a friend the other day, he is married to a swiss Girl and there three daughters were all born in Switzerland. Yet they have lived here for years now. The girls are now becoming adults and have to apply for citizenship here. He had to apply for Swiss Citizenship when he lived over there. It took a lot of money and 6 months. He complained to the Swiss agency handling itand they said, well you are lucky you are not a Dark person, because that is automatically 2 yrs to get through.

Wheels, personally, i dont have a problem with the hoops you friends are having to jump through.

As long as that is for everyone, no matter race or whatever. But I did think a lot of it was either over the top or because it was obviously on paper, there was no Gvt office worker that could actually use their brain. Like the Police check and Medical from a country that had not been in for the past year. Like Duh!!!

I don't know why $20K. I will try and find out.

No I don't think you understood that Polie check and Medical part.They had to have one before they came to NZ, which they did and they passed OK. They have been in NZ for over a year and needed a visa extension or something and had to get the Police check and Medical done again. But the Gvt wanted the information from India. But the people haven't been in India for a year. So would you not think a Police check here in NZ and a Medical here in Nz would have been a better idea??

Bit light on the detail and heavy on the drama there Squid.

Until I see names, dates, boat details and customs papers etc it’s all one sided scaremongering as far as Im concerned.

Until I hear the other side of the story I’ll assume,

1. It’s a termite infested boat.

2. Elderly owners of questionable health

3. Rude to officials.

Nearly all first world officials I’ve dealt with have been perfectly reasonable as long as you give them a smile and treat them with a little respect. The people who have trouble with them, generally asked for it.

Bashing officialdom is a pastime for many a cruiser

I asked for a response from the OP:

Hi Squid

Fair crack of the whip - this is cruiser bashing! Why attack me for being slugged?

Our boat is anything but termite infested - been in NZ for 4 years and MAF were more than happy with her and she is well maintained.

Um why would I give out our or our friends personal details to someone who is obviously just spoiling for a fight? Not good sense.

Nope not rude. In fact, if this person cares to read my missive again they will note that we in fact got on with and like very much the officer here. So much so I am happy to advise people to come here!

As for our friends who decided not to visit - several of them are coming to NZ by the way - they got their information from the internet. Hardly light on information if it is picked up from official sites?

No - our problem is the extra costs and time and inconvenience to take a low risk boat into another port so we can pay to get someone else to take another look at a boat that has already been deemed clean.

Our gripe is only one - please relay to this cruiser basher that they should go and read up on all the rules and regulations that apply (state by state) and then and only then come back and tell international cruisers why they should pay to come here and be hounded? This is a fabulous country (not as good as NZ though) but the rules have taken over. This is not official bashing - they are just doing their job, this is a rant about the over the top, ridiculous amount of fines, rules, regulations, guidelines, fees, duties etc that we have here. When we cruised Queensland waters back in 2005 there was at that time approx 186 fines applicable to sailing yachts. Don't tell me that is reasonable as a sailor - that is straight out revenue raising.

I stand by my earlier statement - Shame Australia Shame.

anybody who wants to read about the "NEW"termite rules for predominately wooden boats go to there is a break down of how it is supposed to happen. I always thought Aussie had the best and biggest termites of anywhere in the world.

Cruiser bashing…….spoiling for a fight…….sigh, I think im getting a good idea of this persons personality type. I just wanted some clarification on what the problems were.

Funny thing is, I was cruising Queensland in ’05 as well. Never had a problem, or a fine and the sky never fell on my head.

There was a customs dude in Brisbane called Tony C whom was a PITA and in need of some comprehension training, but he only got in the way for an hour or two.

Regarding your friends initial tirade, a couple of questions still remain unanswered,

1. Did the friends that arrived in LH Island give 96 hours notice before they arrived at LH Island?

2. Was the Customs agent at LH an official Govt employed Customs agent?

If they notified Aus customs 96 hours before arrival at LH and got a fine, then there is a real cause for concern

I'd been told a few years back by customs officials in both NZ and Fiji that the advance notice rules for yachts were the result of US pressure after Sep-11. I 'd imagine that Australia was the same. The irony is that there is no advance notice requirement for yachts entering the US (West coast only experience on my part). Sure, you have to have a full US B1/B2 visa, but no other notice is required. Have cleared in twice in last year and you roll up to the dock and phone them and someone comes down to see you. No separate area and no hassle. Even the visa rule can be worked around if you are polite and helpful - we had one crew member without a visa and after a few phone calls he was just stamped in on a visa waiver with a polite - "You'd better get a visa sorted for next time". Canada does not require advance notice either.

Just read this elsewhere

And then the Quarantine folks get you... big bucks for normal working hours, and currently $600 AUD if you arrive outside of 8-4:30 M-F.

or $720 NZ, enough to make you heave to until monday?

I've been through Aussie customs twice via boat - latest being last year from New Cal and had no problems at all. We did it all by the book and gave good notice and kept updating them on ETA into Brisbane via sat phone all the way down the coast. They knew where we were anyhow as we must have seen 15 or so planes between New Cal and Brisbane. The check in procedure was straight forward. Can't remember the cost as I didn't pay but it was not excessive. It was an Aussie boat returning home.

I'm sure with any country there are exceptions but follow the rules and you are generally ok.

I'm sure with any country there are exceptions but follow the rules and you are generally ok.

I agree.

I have to say, that one fellow I know over there and has a big issue with the customs over there, just tends to have a big issue with the customs over there. if you get my drift. He is american and interestingly, many of those that have issues are also.I really don;t think it is because they are American that they are red flags to the Bull customs officers, rather than maybe their attitude may not come across well. They can sometimes seem a little "I am american therefore i have rights" type atitude. Trying to put that delicatly because i do have some good american friends that are not like that, or at least don't mean to be if they come across that way. But i have sure come across some that are.

Copied from another forum

Posted 07 October 2010 - 02:15 PM

Hello

We cleared Australian customs this week, they are not making any allowance for any shortfall in notification / policy.

We made notification at Alitou as per policy

We moved onto a remote location in the Calvidos Chain awaiting weather

Whilst there we attended the opening of a new schoolhouse built by a group of cruising Ausie boats (Cruise Aiders)

One of the volunteers had traveled up on a boat that was going on and needed a lift back to Australia and we were going that way

His passport was in order so we helped out

HOWEVER

Australian customs are currently bringing action against us in the way of a heavy fine ($5000)????

The additional crew was not on the crew list in the notification, we do not have email on board and was in a remote location.

They displayed no intrest in the extra crew and checked him in without problem

He left the boat no questions asked, he was Australian citizen with a correct passport

They interviewed us and are pursuing legal action against us

Be aware of Australian Customs if all the dots are not in the correct place they will prosecute without consideration or commensense

And further to that.....

* Group: Full Member

* Boat Name:Jemima

* Boat Type:Oceanic 46

* Location Now:Newcastle au (east coast au)

Posted 13 October 2010 - 06:46 AM

Hello

Thanks for the reply

Two officers of Australian Customs came to our boat yesterday and delivered a CD with a copy of the interview they made.

Clearly they are proceeding with there process

I asked for information on where the process was at but they informed me that they were unable to give me any information on what was happening.

I was requested to sign for the delivery of the CD

I will be moving south in the coming days and remain apprehensive about the outcome of this event with customs

Does anyone have any experience with anything similar?????

It seems from reading "The Coastal Passage" that the Aussie customs rely on you to basically convict yourself when interviewed, as do most police interviews, helpful info given in the hope of clarifying the situation can and will be used against you. Either refuse too be interviewed or only if accompanied by a maritime lawyer, or do the old name rank and serial no. and Sign nothing!!

Archived