Pocket Offshore Cruisers

Dreaming  of going offshore in 2019 the (realistic) dreamboat is at least 44 ft , that not going to happen (44ft ) so I thought I would canvas anecdotes about small boats (under 31 ft LOA)  that have done the offshore thing.

I'm suggesting perhaps that it be limited  it to "Mere Mortals" (MM's) in NZ boats and not legends like David Lewis or Andrew Fagan etc. so here goes a few I know of or have heard of.  

Marauder 28 that did Auckland Mooloolaba a few years back

A Carpenter 29 that sailed AKL to New Caledonia 2 or 3 yrs back

A Spencer 32 (ply) that went to Tonga back in the 70's (OK 1 ft too big but still plywood)

An Alan Wright Haani 28 (plywood forerunner of the Nova 28) that sailed to the islands) described as "2 weeks in a washing machine"

And a chap from the Thames sailing club who soloed a 20 ft trailer sailer to the Three Kings twice !

Oh and that fellow who sailed a Wharram Tiki across the Tasman recently.

It would be great to hear from folks who have crewed or skippered on such boats and their insights.

Several Raven 26 have been offshore along with the Reactor that did the last solo trans Tasman. There are several under 31ft kiwi designs that have been offshore 

Davidson 28, Tasman

Whiting 29 

Chico 30 

Smith 30

Cav 32, possible 30

Lotus 9.2, 9.5

Davidson 31

H 28

Y88 have crossed the Tasman

Just to name a few off the top of my head. Plenty off others if you really start to think about it.

Yeah there are heaps.  Once upon a time it was considered quite normal by kiwis to go offshore in a 30 footer.

I know of a raven 26 that's been from here to Canada.  Cav 32's have been all over the show.  H28s have circumnavigated as well.  A few of the 30ish foot townsons went to the islands etc, I know of a townson 32 that's been to Darwin and back, but they had big windows and Des always said they weren't designed for it I believe.

If you can find an entry list from a fiji race from years back they were full of 30ish footers.  Big fleets too.

Did a lot of ocean miles single-handed in 17 foot 10 inches LOA.

Obviously, what you can carry on board is limited, eg 30 gallons of water giving 60 days at the old half a gallon per man per day rule, so comfort is not going to be all that great.

I think small boats are strong and not subject to the same stresses in a seaway as their larger sisters - you tend to bounce from wave top to wave top rather than plowing through the wet stuff.

I'm fascinated by the little pocket offshore cruisers.. 17-24ft interests me.

Andrew Fagan is a legend. Shane Acton is another.

Who sailed to the 3 kings in a trailer sailer and what was the boat? I did hear of a TS, possibly a Pacer, that sailed there several times.. maybe the same one?

From my fairly inexperienced view it seems a good small boat can be just as seaworthy as a big boat but becomes very uncomfortable in the rough. I have been caught out in marginal conditions (for a TS) off the BoP coast and while I felt completely safe, it was certainly uncomfortable.

I can't imagine what it would be like in 6-7m swells in a small boat.

John Guzzwell (Trekka ?) would have to be added to the list I found this on a google search    http://www.tonygrove.com/boatbuilding/trekka.php. 

The chap who went solo to the three kings was in his 80's I think and If I recall correctly the article was in Boating NZ a year or three back. A chap I worked with in the Naval Dockyard built a Farr 9.2 that he sailed around NZ. He left the boat in Bluff for a few months before completing the circuit. The three kings will be one of the first trips when I get my new (old) boat.

100's, maybe almost 1000's, of 6.5mts boat have crossed the Atlantic.

Yes of course ! particularly the Mini Transat Boats at only 6.5 Metres, Chris Sayers Book is excellent !

Peter Freeman in the 80's circumnavigated in a home built 32ft Hartley Ferro, held the world record for fastest sub 50ft boat non stop.

Interesting , you wouldn't think of Ferro boats breaking speed records :-)

Did a lot of ocean miles single-handed in 17 foot 10 inches LOA.

Obviously, what you can carry on board is limited, eg 30 gallons of water giving 60 days at the old half a gallon per man per day rule, so comfort is not going to be all that great.

I think small boats are strong and not subject to the same stresses in a seaway as their larger sisters - you tend to bounce from wave top to wave top rather than plowing through the wet stuff.

Kudos to you ! have you written of the experience  ?

• Upvote 1

Webb Chiles did his first time around in a Drascombe Lugger (open boat) he is currently completing his 6th in a 24 foot day racer, the best boat to have is the one you've got!

I think James Hatfield an English Heart Patient did a circumnavigation in a 20 footer that eventually  foundered off NZ. From memory he finished the trip in a bigger boat. A fibreglass version of a Cornish Crabber I think. 

Yes of course ! particularly the Mini Transat Boats at only 6.5 Metres, Chris Sayers Book is excellent !

Completely coincidentally, I happened to pull his book off the shelf today and flicked through it. Have it sitting right next to me. What ever happened to him?