Dogs on yachts

I have seen a number of dogs on yachts and it seems reasonably common these days. Does anyone have any tips or advice for having one onboard?

We have 8 week old Cavoodle joining the family next month, she will be about the size of a Toy Poodle. I wonder what age she would be OK to take out on the yacht for weekends etc?

I have seen a number of dogs on yachts and it seems reasonably common these days. Does anyone have any tips or advice for having one onboard?

We have 8 week old Cavoodle joining the family next month, she will be about the size of a Toy Poodle. I wonder what age she would be OK to take out on the yacht for weekends etc?

We had our labraspoodle on the boat heaps, he loved it, used to swim off the back too, their paws do not grip on hard surfaces.

The big issue is is you need to take them ashore. There are many places that will not allow Dogs ashore now. So it can become limiting. I have heard of a cruiser that grew a patch of grass in a wooden frame on the aft deck and his Dog would go on that. I imagine it was not quite as simple as it sounds though.
I would love a Dog, but the looking after and exercise is just too hard to be bothered with for us. I used to watch a friend row their two dogs ashore in the early hrs of the morning in the wind and rain and I would think very gratefully of our two cats curled up in the bed with us.

We picked our dog up from the pound and took him away for Easter after one night at home he just adpated now he loves it whenever I go to the boat I always take him only problem is he has stopped going to the toilet on the foredeck now you have to take him in and that is getting harder as there is a lot of places they are not allowed.We just don,t go there We had some false grass on the deck that worked for a while then we didn't,t go out for about three months that is when he stopped going to the toilet on the boat.He is the fourth dog that I have had on boats it used to be a lot easier when there weren't so many rules and they were allowed below high water mark.

Had our little Dog on board from the day she arrived, even lived aboard for about 8 months, travelled the coast between Tauranga and Bay of Islands. Can be a pain getting her enough exercise and toilet stops but went ashore in a few places we wouldn't have otherwise so part of the adventure.

She handled it all fine until one day a F#$%wit on a big gin palace went past at high speed while we were anchored and sent the dishes smashing onto the floor and now she is sh*t scared of any loud noise and becomes quite stressed.

Hopefully with time she will return to normal.

Daisy Berenice (Small).jpg

• Upvote 1

The big issue is is you need to take them ashore. There are many places that will not allow Dogs ashore now. So it can become limiting. I have heard of a cruiser that grew a patch of grass in a wooden frame on the aft deck and his Dog would go on that. I imagine it was not quite as simple as it sounds though.

I would love a Dog, but the looking after and exercise is just too hard to be bothered with for us. I used to watch a friend row their two dogs ashore in the early hrs of the morning in the wind and rain and I would think very gratefully of our two cats curled up in the bed with us.

It's ironic that I found humour watching hung over dads motoring ashore in the morning, with Spot at the front of the dinghy in controlled exuberance.

On reflection though, it is the wife that wants the dog, so once trained in the required outboard skills, those mornings on the aft deck may be just that more entertaining!  :razz:

• Upvote 1

When we lived aboard in Aus our dog was great never weed on board. But one time during really bad weather in Moreton Bay we coudn,t get ashore for 2 days, the dog hung on, finally the wind dropped and we moved to Tangalooma to anchor and go ashore. as I was on the foredeck setting the anchor I felt something warm on my foot, he was quietly weeing on my leg!  When we did get ashore he cocked his leg and rested it on a log and weed constantly for what seemed like 2 minutes.

I tried a patch of artificial grass on the foredeck. Before we went I duct taped it to the lamppost outside our house to get it 'scented'. It didn't work, he just laughed at it and we took this stinky bit of stuff all round the sounds for a fortnight while taking him to shore to wee.

Our dog gets scared when we heel over so we dont take him a lot now, especially because he can stay for free with my parents who have his cousin.

Was that the same dog that thought our liferaft painter was a tug toy?

Can't imagine this dog causing that sort of trouble.

It does make me think there is a solution to the canine ablution problem though, just aquire one of Bazza's sleeping bags and put it where you want the dog to go. Solved!

IMG_20151226_095212 (Small).jpg

Well...its with a little "head lowering.. n slow wag of me tail..."  that i tell you about Cooper.

He has gone now...But he did a circumnavigation around Tassie at 18....

All dogs are different......n not all dogs are water dogs......Now me Cooper..he aint exactly what you would call a water dog...in fact ...unless it was warm n still he was not at all impressed with the stuff..

But he loved to be on it....not in it. Several thousand nautical miles of it....He knew what Rough meant"...

As blind as... deaf...he was way more comfortable in the last few moons on the boat than anywhere else. He would still flop up over the coach roof from "the sunny spot" and mostly "by gravity alone" end up at the companionway when it got a little cool...

And "RUFF"...that meant.. .......cold and I want a lift down because it steep ...and I hurt my head reaching terminal velocity last time"....So I lift him down....and ...RUF....that means .////turn the heater on...its cold..."what are you an Eskimo ? "...

n....RUUUf......"Im hungry"...n roof......I do like it when you hand feed me a few crunchies.....it is getting hard to find the little buggers"....and RUUff ...Can I have my Blanket now ? I want to dream...chasing seagulls...and lying on warm sand ...and curling up on the end of my mates bed both wet and sandy...because he dosnt mind."

And I didnt... and I miss him.

cr17/08/17.

md.

• Upvote 2

As to "the facilities"...coops never had a problem. He would "Riif" when he wanted to go up forwards for either a crap or a wee...In really rough weather we would go aft and I would ...harnessed on"...hold him tight. No stress...no embarrassment...he would do what he needed to. Wagging his tail when finished....and we would both stagger back below to towels and a lower center of gravity.

...ps...and when he got off the boat he would "forwards backwards"...until he lined up with the cracks in the jetty to piss !!!

and that is the truth with many who have seen it to vouch for it.. I didnt teach him the trick...but..

My tidy boy hated wee on his paws or a puddle on the jetty and would piss straight through the gaps !