Kick Ass

Pelagic Autopilots, anyone had any experience with them

Apparently, sometimes paying too little for an item can be a waste of money...

I hear Don's Emporium in Fanga's can do some sharp deals sometimes.

How? You pay more, get the same 2 year warranty, need the same RMA from Navico when faulty. Makes no sense to pay more simply because a business wants more than the others! Where the hell is dons Emporium!!? You shop there?

So you are justifying a huge markup on the off chance the product you sell will fail? Who doesn't ring around to get a good price? They are a big well established retailer who were over 100 bucks less than All Marine and Burnsco and neither will supply a tiller pilot new off the shelf until the faulty unit is returned and inspected (I certainly wouldn't if it was me in trade!).

A replacement nose cone for our silentwind 400 would be nice. The cone is suffering from UV and gone brittle, cracked (and glued). The blade hub too is slowly chipping away, little lumps falling off.

Yep, but you get what you pay for...

The "supermarkets" will usually be cheaper, but no knowledge or support.

Very much so. It's near a daily occurrence we get called into sort out issues created by the supermarkets. Got one today where a boater is having to spend $900 to fix a problem generated by the $250 he reckon he'd save by shopping at a supermarket.

Supermarkets are magnificent for business even if a lot of the punters are in not happy places as we fix the problems. 

So..What happened to the Consumer Guarantees Act and Fair Trading Act? The "supermarkets" just ignore them? Buying from overseas is a risky business but we are talking authorised agents here in NZ. Smart Marine is an authorised agent of Navico. I must admit, got well and truly burnt by that outfit marine "deals" who did a brilliant side step by quickly changing the specs of a windlass we bought from them on their webpage after we received it and it's dimensions were wrong, not what was quoted. Didnt think at the time to get a screen grab. Ended up stuck with it as it had been installed and used (in desperation) before I worked out the capstan was way too small, now sitting on the floor in Jack Stanley's with a offers price tag. Obviously I will never buy from Marine Deals again but businesses have to expect the word will get around. We have told loads of local and overseas people on the water where and where not to go. I'm actually surprised that marine deals is still trading if they do that kind of thing. So the "supermarkets" have the buying power to get the discount and not the after sales service, I can understand that if they are not in it for the long haul but major retailers have to abide by the rules like everyone else who in the business selling products to the public.