Kick Ass

Pelagic Autopilots, anyone had any experience with them

I had multiple failures with different Raymarine APs over the years ranging from those awful plastic circular wheel systems through to numerous circuit board failures on the head unit / display. At one point, after going through 3 head units in as many years (all replaced under warranty) the national supplier sent (at their expense) a marine sparky to my boat to inspect the setup - and could find nothing wrong. Eventually I reluctantly upgraded from the ST system to Raymarine's latest Evo system (including type 1 linear drive) mostly because I had other Raymarine kit onboard. I suspect there are a bunch of other boats around the world hanging on to their Raymarine APs due to the inertia of being interfaced to other Raymarine instruments, plotters, VHF etc.

re AP failure.

I'm resigned to it. So accumulating two of everything crucial.

Rate compass

Brain

Linear drive.

Ready to "drop in". 

Except for lightning strike. Oven not big enuf for linear drive.

Perhaps way too cautious?

Can't imagine the pleasure of swapping out the drive in a violent seaway.

Able to put your brain in an oven Lats!!? Kewl!

Yep, navico confirmed if our TP32 was a horse they'd have to shoot it. Replacement out of the box on its way from Oz. Alls well and ends sort of well.

Rate compasses have been replaced as well. They were just fluxgate ones with rate sensors added anyway. No decent reseller of raymarine or navico will sell you a fluxgate or a rate compass with a new ap now unless you specifically request it.

Navicos under deck pilots, NAC range, H5000 range and wtp3 units are very reliable. Have a look what the vendee globe boasts use...

There is, imo, a void in the marketplace for a really good tiller pilot though.

The under deck pilots can, will, and do work on a tiller driven boat(like the vendee globe boats), but they are custom jobs, and expensive.

Able to put your brain in an oven Lats!!? Kewl!

Yep, navico confirmed if our TP32 was a horse they'd have to shoot it. Replacement out of the box on its way from Oz. Alls well and ends sort of well.

Good result. Nothing worse than having an expensive door stop.

Mine worked ok but it looked too damned fragile where it was. Then there's the waterproof issue.

Don't think I ever got it on the GH2183 rate "gyro" compass, it was only ever using the internal fluxgate IIRC'ly.

Dunno what the precision 9 has over the Airmar GH2183.

Both are good enough for MARPA.

Have not really given my AC12 + Gh2183 a good work out DW with quartering sea which will be the real test.

Gh2183 and precision 9 are very similar, I can likely get a product comparison if you'd really like one.

A quartering sea is the most difficult steering angle. It's a test for an AP or a helmsman. Use minimum rudder gain and counter rudder that you can get away with for best steering.