Auckland might not host the Cup

so the numbers appear to be in

5 options ranging from $150 - $190 million 

etnz to choose which they prefer? if they can help sort the private sponsorship to pay for it?

as council don't want to invest $150 million on infrastructure that will immediately kick back >$500million into the local economy

I find myself not really caring if they take the thing to Italy.

Spending x hundred million on a new wharf to me is kinda like putting in a luxury you could easily do without, like say a swimming pool in your back yard when the mortgage is maxed out.

Or are the council going to come out of it breaking even?

I find myself not really caring if they take the thing to Italy.

Spending x hundred million on a new wharf to me is kinda like putting in a luxury you could easily do without, like say a swimming pool in your back yard when the mortgage is maxed out.

Or are the council going to come out of it breaking even?

Councils never break even.

That concept is definitely not in the DNA of a TLA.

That 2nd option looks fine to me, not all the bases are directly together but near enough.  Compared with intruding into the harbour putting the bases together is pretty the lowest priority in my book.

Sounds like there is some pragmatism in the thinking at least.

The Bledisloe debacle is strong proof of that. We don't have to have all the bells and whistles for the event," said Goldwater, saying the city should make better use of existing facilities to minimise invasion of the harbour

If Ellison, spitball and co turn up again give them the smallest shittiest one... :evil:

2nd option looks fine to me too

sure there'd be lots of little bicycles to nip between the bases

which base would be etnz's?

you'd almost expect they should be S8, the defender away from the rest a bit

but the '8' designation tends to support it being the least favoured position, only to be used if there are 7 challengers 

Does anyone see the irony that the very group Auckland yachties supported in their droves to block Ports of Auckland extending the wharves now stands between them and holding the Americas Cup in Auckland?

Anyway, Halsey Wharf will not be extended. Auckland Council is broke and can't drop $100m on a project with no assured payback even if it could be built in 2-3 years which I think is impossible. The government is already facing the 10 billion hole Joyce warned about. https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/98870648/economists-see-government-debt-rising-billions-more-than-labours-plan

The only real option is to press ahead with the Westhaven development which is already planned, or use existing wharves (unlikely), or the best option imo, bring in large barges with cranes.

• Upvote 1

Does anyone see the irony that the very group Auckland yachties supported in their droves to block Ports of Auckland extending the wharves now stands between them and holding the Americas Cup in Auckland?

Anyway, Halsey Wharf will not be extended. Auckland Council is broke and can't drop $100m on a project with no assured payback even if it could be built in 2-3 years which I think is impossible. The government is already facing the 10 billion hole Joyce warned about. https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/98870648/economists-see-government-debt-rising-billions-more-than-labours-plan

The only real option is to press ahead with the Westhaven development which is already planned, or use existing wharves (unlikely), or the best option imo, bring in large barges with cranes.

So what you are saying then is its going to be in Italy somewhere. 

Graphics of the new design shown today. I was right months ago - no keel, no ballast, wide foils, fully foiling, and should be faster than the cats :-)

http://emirates-team-new-zealand.americascup.com/en/videos/2428_The-America-s-Cup-AC75-boat-concept-revealed-.html

Great work, now just get it set for Auckland