RNI

The club will run a new event in 2011. The Course is around the North Island in two legs. This is an awesome course to sail, and is an exciting development for us to run a longer coastal race. Its a week long event, so not to much time off work, but its a guaranteed adventure and the best way to see the

country. A series of spectacular land marks, islands , Capes, light houses and coastal scenery provide a backdrop for a very demanding sail, but well worth the challenge. e.

We have a number of boats expressing interest and are looking to entice some entries from overseas.

Please get in touch with your interest in entering and do not hesitate to pass this on to any other multihull owners you know who might be interested.

Matthew Flynn

NZMYC

From the rules

11.01 Engines and Power

Should the engine have been used for propulsion for any reason while racing, it is to be stated on the declaration form to be signed by each skipper at the end of each leg. The protest panel will then decide whether a penalty is appropriate. All yachts must carry sufficient fuel on board the start of each leg to give the vessel a range of 150nm.

That would be a LOT of fuel to carry for any multihull powered by outboard.

Just got the info in the inbox. Hopefully we can get a few boats entered.

I would be extremely keen to do this race, so if any propsepctive boats need crew and help preparing for this race, please keep me in mind.

I sailed my old tri auckland to wellington, it was quite an experience/challenge.

From the rules

11.01 Engines and Power

Should the engine have been used for propulsion for any reason while racing, it is to be stated on the declaration form to be signed by each skipper at the end of each leg. The protest panel will then decide whether a penalty is appropriate. All yachts must carry sufficient fuel on board the start of each leg to give the vessel a range of 150nm.

That would be a LOT of fuel to carry for any multihull powered by outboard.

I wonder what sea state you have to be able to motor 150nm in ? ..... on a dead calm glassey day we managed to go opua to tutukaka on one 20L tank. .... so if its 10 -15 knots of wind and you have to go 150NM then you are going to be carrying ALOT of petrol..... I would be thinking that most boats will need to to get a dangerous good license!

And so why a minimum length of 10 metres, where did that come from ?

According to Fullfoil, Dirty Deeds would have cleaned up in the last Suva race, but it isn't going to get an opportunity

to compete ?

I would have thought it was more relevant that a boat had Cat II, than it was some arbitrary length ?

Anyway its the same date as Matty's 21st, so no one is going to be able to go (he already changed the date once for Squaddy weekend)

According to Fullfoil, Dirty Deeds would have cleaned up in the last Suva race, but it isn't going to get an opportunity to compete ?

Haha Nice! Although Greer and I would be seriously unhinged to compete in something like this.

It's a big race for the big boys Tim

And so why a minimum length of 10 metres, where did that come from ?

According to Fullfoil, Dirty Deeds would have cleaned up in the last Suva race, but it isn't going to get an opportunity

to compete ?

I would have thought it was more relevant that a boat had Cat II, than it was some arbitrary length ?

Anyway its the same date as Matty's 21st, so no one is going to be able to go (he already changed the date once for Squaddy weekend)

Where would DD put 150 litres of petrol :?:

Good on NZMYC for doing this given that SSANZ won't play with them. However, if they needed some help putting it together we've got a fair bit of experience to draw on. Don't be shy.

Where would DD put 150 litres of petrol :?:

Just been through this myself.

A 10mt LWL Cat or any yacht, to comply with Cat 2 would have to be able to motor at 5.7kts minimum in smooth water and start each leg with 50lts of fuel. If 50lts wouldn't get you the SI's stated 150nm you'll need to carry more. As the length varies so does the speed and required fuel load.

DD's would need to do 5.3kts and carry 42.5lts at the start of a leg to comply with Cat 2. 63lts for Cat 1 and 21.25 for Cat 3. The same speed applies to all 3 Cats... sorry better say 'categories' on a multi thread I suppose :)

And get in while you can. In 2 years only diesel inboards (as in fix mounted downstairs knot 'inboard outboards' in wells or pods) motors will be allowed for Cat 3 and upwards. No idea why and the only justification I've heard just doesn't stack up in 2010, maybe in 1970 it did but knot these days. Gawd knows how they are going to handle the Multis with this change.

And I like the multi RNI idea, well done someone/s :thumbup:

[And get in while you can. In 2 years only diesel inboards (as in fix mounted downstairs knot 'inboard outboards' in wells or pods) motors will be allowed for Cat 3 and upwards.]

SO what happens If a hypothetical yacht club runs a hypothetical race up the coast of say the North Island without a category requirement. Do YNZ have the ability to prosecute renegade Hypothetical Clubs? Do Wind surfers Or Tornado sailors get prosecuted for sailing up the coast?

Somebody is getting a little precious with these category rules. Next thing we will ban the human content and only allow radio controlled craft over Ten meters to compete in off the coast events.

sounds like a cool race and good on the NZMYC for putting it together.

but I'm left wondering how many current nz multi's would actually meet the LOA and safety requirements...wouldn't be much of a race with only 3 or 4 entries...

2 years only diesel inboards (as in fix mounted downstairs knot 'inboard outboards' in wells or pods) motors will be allowed for Cat 3 and upwards. No idea why and the only justification I've heard just doesn't stack up in 2010, maybe in 1970 it did but knot these days. Gawd knows how they are going to handle the Multis with this change.

I laughed out loud when I heard this. If true, will mean nearly all multis can't get cat 3!

And how many smaller keelboats too.

Stupidest Sh*t I've heard.

Archived