Chewing Gum

Warning - chain plates on NZ built production boats

My vhf has a  turn off/ on and I've found it discharged before now. Accidentally turned on. 

Good to know what went wrong, a lot of talk about the mast hopping out of the step and robin hooding down through the hull, but now we know the truth, a chainplate failure .

Good to know, Unlike two other fatal boating accidents being sat on by the authorities,

How long does it take to write a report? ANSWER .. LONG ENOUGH that everyone has forgotten about it .

Except perhaps the people who sail on the sea and who would like to know , so they can safeguard against something similar happening to them and theirs.

I would add that HH Vhf's are vulnerable to loss, being turned on or otherwise losing charge and saltwater damage.  If in a grab bag there should also be some shrinkwrapped spare batteries, if possible they should of the floating variety and I am always surprised that most dont have the option of being in a bright orange colour. 

I splurged on some Penelope rechargeable AA's for my handheld VHF. Each one has 4000ma odd capacity, huge buggers, and lithium so they last for ages and as long as I top them up every 2 months +/- I know I have lots in the bank so to speak.

And splurge was right, those little buggers cost moonbeams.