New Sails

Time to bite the bullet.............    Need to get a new suit of good cruising sails, and, there seems so much glossy marketing doodah about when you go searching on the interweb, that I kind of get put off. So, any suggestions as to who to approach for quotes, and, equally, who to avoid? Quality is at least as important as price - I want something that will take a bit of hard use.

There is usually more benefit in using a local loft that can give good service than trying to pick between the brand names, although is there a loft in Dunedin anymore?

if realibility over price really is a driver then north 3Di is about the most bullit proof option out there, there is a reason the majority of the round the world racing fleet use a varient of it, but be prepared for some sticker shock

Very good question. Thinking along the same lines. Have looked locally, and seen some prices, then looked off shore and seen a little over half price, delivered, Inc tax. Love to buy local but the 'ole buck' talks.

Norths 3di are stunning kit, was hoping they would make a difference to the sailing for the price but it's hard to describe just how good they are.

They are expensive, but it would be hard to go back to something else once you've had them.

I believe it's Windward sails. I was recommended them by a couple of people so should be ok.

https://touch.trademe.co.nz/profile/listings/4604319

That would be "No hurry Murray". I doubt if any of the sails in the ads exist except for the one photo.

Murray makes great sails, eventually! It took me about 18 mths to get my new main in spite of (or maybe only because of) persistent harassment.

There was a thread sometime ago on Windward/Murray

Names would be a help KM. Over the years stories abound and when added up its usually the same sailmaker . I got a main built by Lidgards for a one design. It wouldn't measure and they dicked me around something bad. Same sort of crap KM experienced. Never got another order from me and I influenced other s not to buy from them. Having said that its a good idea to pay extra and buy local. Deal with the person making the sail if you can. And  order quality sailcloth; contender,dimension etc. Cheaper knock off cloth will cost you downstream

I'm interested in some more comments around the north's 3Di products, specifically around shape retention, durability and expect life of the sail (especially shape retention over the life of the sail).

Looking at a new main for a 37 ft cruiser / club racer.

To replace a like for like cross cut dacron from a local loft (whom I've used before) is circa $3,500

A tri-radial laminate from the same local loft is circa $5k

A 3Di Nordac circa $8k, or a 3Di race circa $13k - made in Sri Lanka

To compare with the local loft cross cut dacron, a Norths cross cut dacron is $6k

Based on the cost difference of the cross cut dacron, it would appear the label in the front corner of the sail is worth a lot. However I understand the 3Di products are good sails. I'm trying to quantify how good, as there is a substantial price difference.

For that price difference, I almost be expecting a sail that can pour cold drinks and put the kids to bed... but maybe my expectations are unrealistic.

I wouldn't have described my 'local loft' as a one man band. I got pricing from two different outfits I've both used before, both recognized names with a long history and good track record, but make the sails locally and don't have that 'global' footprint as such.

It may just be the specification of sail I'm looking at and I'm not in the market sector of the big brands. 

I am keen to quantify the benefit in sail shape and life for the additional cost though. I understand the concept of paying for quality, I just want to understand the 'quality' side of the ledger.

They have a good system for helping you get the correct measurements.

Most important. A guy at Great Barrier had his new furling jib delivered recently, exactly to his dimensions. Sadly not including space for the roller-furler. By the time he gets it re-cut by a local it's going to look awful and cost more than the local product.

Bought a new furling headsail a while ago from evolution sails. Used their cruising laminate. Good price and a good sail. Went for the laminate for the fact it will hold it's shape a lot longer the dacron. Have had it for about 5 years now and still great.