GBE outboard motor

If you can live with a 2 stroke, the merc 15 is the lightest on the market, iirc. There are two models, the tohatsu merc, and the real merc. The real one has the gear shift combined into the twist grip throttle. It weighs about 32kg, again iirc.

Cool looks like a range,

It’s no race boat so not looking to peel the stickers off to save half of a gram. A 4 stroke 9.9 high thrust with a big low pitch prop sounds perfect except maybe $$$. A 2 stroke would be fine and probably also a 9.9hp. It’s a remote connection for throttle and shift only.

I’ll try get the Yammie sorted first and see if I can get a couple more seasons out of it. The controls are routed terribly as you can see. The throttle pops off the connector inside when over half revs and the gear cable is on such an angle it chooses wether it feels like engaging or not. Makes for some interesting manoeuvring in the current at the mooring surrounded by boats....

I had a Yammie 9.9 4 stroke hi thrust in my GBE, was the gucci one with power tilt and start from a remote in the cockpit.

For cruising and short handed stuff it was absolute gold.

Had the prop where the exhust vented in the opposite direction when in reverse, so had loads of bite, and you could stop the boat on a sixpence. (You could also just about throw people off their feet with the amount of grip the prop had from a standing start :)

Max speed (about 7kts) was no different really to an 8hp 2stroke, but you could motor directly into 30+ kts at 5kt of breeze with no problems at about half throttle. (Fully throttle had us jumping out of the chop so had to back off a bit)

Yes it weighed 209KG more than the two stroke, but for ease of use and the knowlege that it would cope with anything for a cruising boat I think its worth it

9.9 hi thrust will work great but probably a bit of overkill an 8 would be plenty, I may have a 9.9 yam 4 stroke available though.

8 is not plenty if you want ti motor into a good breeze. Having had a 9.9 4 stroke and an 8hp 2 stroke on 2 different GBEs, for anything other than racing ,I'd want the 9.9 4 stroke.

How do the tohatsu's rate? They seem very popular overseas but don't see many around here. The 9.9hp 2 stoke seem good value and I understand are lightest in their class. They also come in a 25" leg version which would benefit some boats. If/when I replace my Yamaha I would be very tempted to try a tohatsu unless I hear some bad stories between now and then

I now have a Tohatsu 9.8 XL on the tri. Big improvement on the old 5hp Merc LS, but more thirsty as you would expect.