2017 Rum Race

Good fun. Nice run although reef should have gone then. Helmsman had a wee error when trying to get head to win to crank the halyard on the jib but all good in the end. 1st reef in main and reef in jib was good going home. Great way to start the Christmas break. Cheers to RYC for hosting and to organisers.

Good fun. Nice run although reef should have gone then. Helmsman had a wee error when trying to get head to win to crank the halyard on the jib but all good in the end. 1st reef in main and reef in jib was good going home. Great way to start the Christmas break. Cheers to RYC for hosting and to organisers.

Do you have a reefing headsail Changed?

I understand they are very handy for short handed sailing. I'm interested in those.

What size is it full hoist, how much does the reef take out, and is there any issues / short comings / drawbacks in having a reefing headsail?

I assume you run it with hanks?

The Placido cockpit cam: 

A great reach down the harbour, a bit conservative starting under reefed main but was glad we had it in by Rough Rock. I might not have seen the gust coming at 0.59 but I didn't spill my beer :-). The mainsheet decided to jam approaching rough rock leading to our less than elegant "shake the rig" gybe going around the mark and we had a few sub-optimal tacks but the boat seemed to relish the conditions once we got set up right. I had intended to take down the bimini but never quite got around to it but at least I know it stays together in a breeze. My daughter Charlotte still claims to have loved it even though she did spend the second half of the race hanging on to the companionway steps. 

Great fun, and awesome evening and a big thank you to the organisers. 

• Upvote 1

Do you have a reefing headsail Changed?

I understand they are very handy for short handed sailing. I'm interested in those.

What size is it full hoist, how much does the reef take out, and is there any issues / short comings / drawbacks in having a reefing headsail?

I assume you run it with hanks?

Yes it is a reefing blade. Reduces by about 800mm. A great thing to have and yes it is hanked. Also have #3 jib which does the same and then it's to the pink sail. Works well and allows us to change down quickly. Jib cars remain where they are so only sheets to change - retie.good thing about reefing sails is that they still retain there shape.