Tamure

Whats the latest on El Cheapo Chinesium Outboards?

That grand is going to look like a great investment in 12 months or 5 years time when your Yamaha is starting sweet so you can tow your mate who can't start his 6month old cheapy.

I've owned (and abused) a lot of outboards and honestly, the Yamaha is the way to go.

Right on. Been to the factory where they are made. They were making them by the 000's and packaging them up under 3 names, Parsun being one. Testing was done in an old bathtub in the corner. One start,run for a couple of minutes and that was it. Foundry seemed like 50 degrees and workers were in singlets and jandals....safety gear unheard of. They made portable generators there too. My guess is that if they lasted 30 hours you'd be doing well as China is not a boating recreational nation like NZ. Buy Yamaha Tohatsu even a Seagull instead.

Thanks guys it’s pretty much what I thought, but the sales guy at smart was telling me they were made in the same factory as Yamaha and that the parts were interchangeable.

As usual you don’t get something for nothing

Thanks guys it’s pretty much what I thought, but the sales guy at smart was telling me they were made in the same factory as Yamaha and that the parts were interchangeable.

Not in the same factory but many parts are indeed interchangeable. What's more if you pop the top off a Yammy and a Parsnip you will see a lot more metal in the Parsnip.

But I'd still buy Yammy long before a WhoFlungDung.

I have two parsnips/Parsuns (3.6hp & 5.8hp).  No complaints with either.  There are certainly some cheap brands I wouldn't touch, but both these motors are doing the job admirably well with no issues to date (other than a sticker coming off a bit after I accidentally doused it in petrol  :| ).  One motor I inherited, the other I did quite a bit of research before purchasing.  There were a few factors that decided the purchase: the good history of the motor I borrowed/inherited after my old Mariner was lost, the value for money compared against other brands, and the fact that I only had a limited amount of insurance money available to spend.

I was replacing a Mariner 3.3 so looked at various brands including the Mercury 3.3 which would have been a near direct replacement.  Big difference was that the Parson offered a twist grip throttle on the tiller arm rather than a wee lever on the motor itself.  Far more drive-able.  I also looked at second hand, and decided that for the same money I was buying a big brand motor with unknown history and out of warranty.

The 5.8 Parsun has more hours on it but I tend not to use it when I am on my own as it's heavier than the 3.6, though it has a bit more push when the dinghy is loaded up.  It's a few years old now and has not missed a beat in that time.

Of course another factor to consider is resale value.  If you buy with the intention of wanting to resell in the future, that will need to be part of the equation.  For a motor to push along the tender, I view it a bit like a lawnmower - I intend to keep it until it wears out, and hopefully that will be later rather than sooner.  On that basis resale is not an issue for me.  

Buy a real outboard :thumbup:

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boats-marine/parts-accessories/outboards/auction-1495324053.htm?rsqid=01b505544e8046d3a96751b5dcf70c07

Seriously you cannot go past a Yamaha.

You may source a decent secondhand one on Trademe for a few hundie less than a new one but will not get that wonderfully joyful feeling of being the first to tug it into life.

Whoops that does not sound quite right.