Hose clips

Guest 000

3 weeks ago I was cleaning down my engine and managed to impale the back of my hand on the tail of one of the many hoseclips in the engine bay. This resulted in a penetrating wound that severed a couple of capillaries and partially cut the tendon to my thumb. Thanks to the expert ministrations of the local gp it has healed very well and I expect to get the full use of my thumb back with nothing more to show for the incident than a little scar to add to all the others caused by those murderous hoseclips tails.

My solution to the problem us to take a couple of inches of clear plastic hose of similar size, slit it lengthwise, position it over the hoseclips and hose and hold it in place with a couple of cable ties. Whilst it provides the desired protection it is bulky and looks as ugly as sin so if anyone can suggest a better solution to taming hoseclip tails....

Ouch!!   Sharp edges and snags have no place in an engine bay... unfortunately a lot parts these days have sharp edges including things like radiator caps, pre-built brackets ,hose clamps and just about anything made in china ... but anyway if the clamp is sized correctly the tail wont be too long and i use long nose pliers to slightly bend the last 15mm or so inwards a bit so the tail rests against the clamp with no snag waiting for a soft bit of human