Lyttelton marina

The quality of the build of the new marina is second to none. Total Floating Systems (Brent Shipman and his merry band) are very efficient and thorough. Lived in many marinas but this is a very good quality build in my opinion.

It is great to see Christchurch getting a top quality area. Work ashore is good too with old piles and railway used to add features to the land side of things. Total boat holding space will be over double the number held in the old pile moorings.

A good job well done and built by Kiwi's.

• Upvote 1

Anyone knows why the berth positioned 90 degrees off, compare to the old pile moorings? Did the most common wind direction changed in the harbor? Also could be very awkward to get in on the SW part to the floater where the large poles are (presumably to protect the marina from drifting vessels entering to the dry dock. Other than that looks pretty.

The old pile berths, on which I also kept my boat, where angled about 30 degrees from the southerly quarter winds which funnelled through the tank farm area. The strongest winds in the Dampier Bay area come from the NW'er which swirls around and are very gusty. The area is protected from swell. Vessels are unlikely to be moving around in the extreme southerly or NW winds as much as more gentler winds. With the outer pier located nearer to ships entering the dry-dock the largest force vessels are exposed to is that of tug wash. The berths are aligned to be bow/stern on to this. I'm sure you can all imaging the force exerted on a vessel beam on to a tug wash. So simply put the berths align to the greatest force to be placed on the vessel. There was another design that actually managed to fit more berths into the are but was discounted for several reasons.

There is lots of manoeuvring space between marina piers and between the outer pier berths and the training wall piles for the dry dock. The space is far greater than any manoeuvring space we had with the old pile berth set up. As a 13m long keel vessel we fit between the training wall and our berth easily, and they are only piles, not a continuous wall so easy to nip past close to one if you are crap at boat handling.

If you want to see interesting berthing in marinas go to Tauranga bridge, Opua, Bayswater or Chafers. Either wind or tide makes these 'fun' at times. I think Lyttelton will have the best marina in NZ very soon...

The old pile berths, on which I also kept my boat, where angled about 30 degrees from the southerly quarter winds which funnelled through the tank farm area. The strongest winds in the Dampier Bay area come from the NW'er which swirls around and are very gusty. The area is protected from swell. Vessels are unlikely to be moving around in the extreme southerly or NW winds as much as more gentler winds. With the outer pier located nearer to ships entering the dry-dock the largest force vessels are exposed to is that of tug wash. The berths are aligned to be bow/stern on to this. I'm sure you can all imaging the force exerted on a vessel beam on to a tug wash. So simply put the berths align to the greatest force to be placed on the vessel. There was another design that actually managed to fit more berths into the are but was discounted for several reasons.

There is lots of manoeuvring space between marina piers and between the outer pier berths and the training wall piles for the dry dock. The space is far greater than any manoeuvring space we had with the old pile berth set up. As a 13m long keel vessel we fit between the training wall and our berth easily, and they are only piles, not a continuous wall so easy to nip past close to one if you are crap at boat handling.

If you want to see interesting berthing in marinas go to Tauranga bridge, Opua, Bayswater or Chafers. Either wind or tide makes these 'fun' at times. I think Lyttelton will have the best marina in NZ very soon...

Thanks for the explanation, I was hoping it's not only to increase the number of berths. I can hear you really like it already. It looks much better than ever and you all right this is just the start. I can't wait to see when it finished.

A few more pictures.

one of the next pier being started and the others of the quality and thought that has been put in to the details like, an electrical shore power cable duct, quality finish on the fittings, midships cleat on pontoon, the outer pier fingers are actuall hinged onto the main pier to allow for any wave movement, and what a backdrop for a marina.

Yes I do like the marina. Lived in many marina's across the world and NZ and this build builts them all.

IMG_1470.JPG

IMG_1464.JPG

IMG_1466.JPG

IMG_1467.JPG

IMG_1465.JPG

IMG_1461.JPG

You forgot to mention the empty carpark.

The photo of the empty carpark is sure to piss off a few Westhaven birth holders...

According to the w@#ker that "owns" the lease to Westpark, Pine Harbour and Bayswater, that carpark needs some apartments built on it.

and todays' photos.  Don't say there isn't enough space to manoeuvre your yacht between these marina piers!! A tight fit for the tug and barge and yet they never seem to have problems or leave any marks.

IMG_0253.JPG

IMG_0254.JPG

and todays' photos.  Don't say there isn't enough space to manoeuvre your yacht between these marina piers!! A tight fit for the tug and barge and yet they never seem to have problems or leave any marks.

I'm not saying... I just asked...

Looks pretty impressive anyway

nagy592.

No comment was aimed at you or anyone, not my style of operation, just thought the photo with the tug and barge showed what could be manoeuvred into a location by a competent skipper. Rather them than me with large un manoeuvrable lump.

Will we see you in the new marina?