Speeding fines on the water

22528688_1725236170821424_74363322611448

Back on October 12th a very inattentive power boat operator (boat was about 25 ft) 

turned this Thistle sailboat from our Club into splinters - mid-day, clear sky, Thistle had sails up. 

Amazing that no one was seriously injured or killed. 

Maybe same said Crewer may wanna explain what happens when you're shitfaced and ride your pushbike, at pace, straight across a good sized road without stopping to check and then straight into a brick wall..... all of it 20ft in front of a parked and loaded Police car. Hmmmmm... in a not overly surprising coincidence that one was just after another Pub closed for the night.

Well I dont know what would happen there, but I do know what happens when you're riding your pushbike back to the ship, one drunken shipmate perched on the handlebars and another on the rear carrier and you encounter a policeman on point duty waving his arms in such a haphazard fashion that you become confused as to what he wants you to do, and you end up running him over.

What happens is that you end up in the cells for the night with a 'please explain' to the magistrate to look forward to in the morning.

:D Yeap I can see the bureaucratic logic in that.

Lucky for me I can, and do, recover all fines I regard as bullshit from the organisations that give me them. While doing so I recover twice the amount to cover my inconvenience. I do not recover the cost of 'fair and reasonable' fines though.

Any Crew.Orgers wanna own up to having that happen? Not speeding but similar. I know one should ;)

I won't mention Hartley 16's, having a dump over the transom, Deodars spotlight and hour after the Masonic Tavern closed.

Maybe same said Crewer may wanna explain what happens when you're shitfaced and ride your pushbike, at pace, straight across a good sized road without stopping to check and then straight into a brick wall..... all of it 20ft in front of a parked and loaded Police car. Hmmmmm... in a not overly surprising coincidence that one was just after another Pub closed for the night.

There is more, equally funny, but that's enough to start with I think :twisted:  :D

Well we are talking about 38yrs ago and yes was funny and Jackie still said no but I believe she may of said yes to someone  on crew.org

I have aged gracefully got it all out of the system by 25 :razz: But I can feel a resurgence coming on in the not so distance future and ,No you went there,bugger the night we visited The Velet Touch and did a runner but you know the 2 other culprits

I liked  :angry:  the Welly H/M comment on the news the other night 'We got a few, all didn't know the Regs but we fined them anyway'.

All I heard 'We have failed in our duty to inform and educate but we don't give a sh*t as we have this new source of income'.

He needs to be taken for a Spin and taught how to say it just right so the punters come way thinking 'Hell Yes he's right, I do want to eat that sloppy dog turd he's offering'. He needs to sprinkle some Star Dust on his weeties.

think you need to get your hearing checked KM, (or maybe ignore those 'other' voices)

we have been educating them for 15 years plus, some have a low interest in learning. I also talked about why speed is an issue, not as interesting unfortunately and didn't get the air time, but possibly what you were hitting at ( i think..got confused somewhere between the dog turds and the wheeties.)

infringements as a source of income... you are a comedian , the time and shagging around involved is not worth the $$ let me assure you of that

and those that got tickets were given the option of enrolling on a Dayskipper course to get educated... I don't think we are heavy handed with the ticket book in Welly, but the odd one or two does (hopefully) create a bit of focus and awareness...

someone got educated on the 5 knot rule tonight by riding a jet ski into the end of petone wharf, maybe if he wasn't going full noise....

Anyway it's a holiday in the fair capital tomorrow so off sailing, enjoy your day at work :-)

I have to concur with grant on all those points above.

Education of boaties has been on-going for many, many, many years in all regions.

As for boating fines being a money making exercise... well you are detached from reality if you believe that.

Most boaties know of the rules and roughly what they are and try to stick to them. Other boaties know of the rules and roughly what they are and just ignore them completely. The latter group will likely get a fine one day.

great weekend on the water down here, warm, calm, loads of water space for everyone, and lots of enjoyment being had.

Replay the TV snippety and listen to the words said, it was a Spin doctors nitemear.

Hence the comments about needing Spin lessons or Stardust.

It's 2018 now babe and it's made or busted by a simple soundbite. I just posted what that soundbite said to me.... and I do know the reality. But what do the people who don't know think?

So I'm coming into Welly, on my boat 'The Devils Advocate' . Are there big signs on the heads or do I need to find out who runs the harbour (in Auckland there are 6 or 7 mobs claiming they do) then find their website which will be laid out in bureaucratic, then troll through that for a mention of by-laws, then troll through that to find......Oh hang on, my boat has no interweb so that's not gonna happen. I hope the signs on the heads are large or I maybe fined for {insert something unknown here}

Just how do I find out what all the local by laws are?

Don't worry Knot Me I have solved your problem

We are talking about a national rule of 5knots....so its the same everywhere

Marine Prosecutions seem to have stopped following a certain collision with yachts, one motoring, one sailing, at the Anniversary regatta in 2012... 

There must be a special on wet bus tickets...

• Upvote 1

You can cure ugly but you sure cannot cure dumb.

Took the fordeck hand for a drive to Piha yesterday to indulge in a coffee at the Sandra Coney Memorial Cafe which by the way was excellent , busy though.

Encountered a recent arrival variety of human on our side of a blind bend travelling quicker than a Piedy.

Was tempted to drive straight into them and test out the 600 airbags and my insurance policy but chose to instead rely on my lightning fast helm reactions and passed around on the wrong side of the road.

Actually the second time in a year that I have encountered this situation.

Seems to me that uneducated reckless behaviour is not only alive and well on the water.

Is education the answer, well I am off to search the dark web for a vaporizing cannon that leaves no trace whatsoever.

One for yacht and one for car.

• Upvote 1

Dumb (or maybe not so dumb) question. How does the 5kts within 50mts of a boat work within a racing fleet? Unless you're in very small or slow boats you'll often be doing more than 5knots a lot closer than 50meters from your competitors. Are we breaking the rules or somehow "opting out" of this one? It's often occurred to me and I don't know the answer. 

Boats sailing under the RRS are specifically exempted. But only for each other - the colregs still apply for any vessel not racing...

Makes sense.

Hence the need to indicate you are racing with a division flag and to be under the control of an organising affiliated yacht club, presumably?

I see  there appears to be some people struggling to find information on speed limits.

Waikato Bylaws provides lovely pictures of the local area requirements in their bylaw (as well as a written description).  simply open the bylaw and look at the area you wish to go to. Very well indexed and simple to follow.

Generally it is not difficult to locate the information you need and you can simply ask for help if you can't find it.

https://www.waikatoregion.govt.nz/assets/PageFiles/20190-maritime-services/Nav-Safety-2013-bylaw-web.pdf

Coro Harbour.png

The same applies to Auckland Bylaws

https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/plans-projects-policies-reports-bylaws/bylaws/Documents/navsafetybylawcontrols2014.pdf

Auck Harbour.png

Waitematā Harbour restricted zone

(1) The Harbourmaster may specify an area of navigable water within the Waitematā Harbour as a restricted zone and specify controls for the use of the area.

(2) A power driven vessel within the Waitematā Harbour restricted zone must not:

(a) exceed a proper speed of 12 knots; nor

(b)use an automatic steering device.

(3) Clause (2) does not apply to:

(a) vessels operated by the police, customs, the Harbourmaster or a vessel approved by the Harbourmaster that used during the performance of official duties in circumstances where persons on board are unable to undertake their duties without exceeding 12 knots; or

(b)emergency response vessels responding to an accident or incident where there is grave and imminent danger to life or property; or

©fast passenger ferries for which the Harbourmaster has granted written exemption on a scheduled passage and visibly displaying flashing orange lights.

Explanatory note: The controls made under the Navigation Safety Bylaw 2014 contain maps showing areas of navigable water permanently reserved by the Harbourmaster, which includes the area reserved as the Waitematā Harbour Restricted Zone.

Km, has a very good point,whether you buy a vessel from a broker,dealer or private,no one ever gives you a copy of the basic regulations and say read this before going to sea.  At the moment there is absolutely nothing to stop me from buying a 60ft launch/yacht and run a muck,how do I know about 5knt limits,divers,swimmers. f*ck even which is port/starboard. Buying a vessel is so easy power especially, drive it like car.turn key lever down

Years ago there use to be a saying around from the older generation(most have passed now)"What ,did you buy it from John Burns Friday night" remember hearing it back about 1972.

Yes I can here the screams of Government intervention taking away my freedom. I am only presuming this, that a good majority of waterbourne users have been brought up around vessel via family/friends scouts etc

It is indeed a shame some dealers and sellers don't provide freely available information when a boat is sold to a new owner. Most Harbourmaster's provide plenty of free educational material in the form of cell phone bags, sun hats, key floats, sunglass straps etc that any dealer can have to give with a purchase. These all carry simple key boating safety messages and where to get more info.

Luckily most people search on google and similar search engines by what they want to find

e.g Auckland boating rules

https://www.google.co.nz/search?source=hp&ei=hTppWoz8NsaJ8wXih7yICQ&q=auckland+boating+rulkes&oq=auckland+boating+rulkes&gs_l=psy-ab.3...4542.10384.0.10560.26.17.0.6.6.0.455.1987.2-5j1j1.7.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..13.13.2171.0..0j0i131k1j0i22i30k1.0.un0HuFDS3h8

plenty of info and the right website at the top.

try wellington boating safety

https://www.google.co.nz/search?ei=6TppWq3kPIvQ0ASp6IPQDg&q=wellington+boating+safety&oq=wellington+boating+safety&gs_l=psy-ab.3...12672.16039.0.16361.7.7.0.0.0.0.238.920.2-4.4.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..3.3.686...0i22i10i30k1j0i22i30k1j33i21k1.0.CjoQjydw_hU

again easy.

There will always be some who just won't look, bother to plan ahead, or make reasonable efforts to do the right thing. There will always keep coming back with the same excuses or comments rather than actually be active in solving their own problem. 

• Upvote 2

I do wonder why I bother replying on here some times, but I guess I'm a sucker for punishment.

NZ extends south of the Bombay hills and we do not copy everything that happens north of there, we live breath make decisions without checking first what is happening in the north.

It is the Greater Wellington Regional Council, regional councils are still a thing in quite of lot of the country....

I would hope when you do your big tour you actually think ahead and do some planning before you show up at another port, (then you don't need to have interwebs on board.) Most of the rules are standard through out the country, despite you highlighting a few of the differences, those difference don't tend to be the biggest issues. 

With only a little effort you could talk to the locals via radio when you get there (before you ask there is this book called the NZ Nautical Almanac that has stuff like radio stations and channel information in it)

One age old problem is people that know a bit about the rules but like taking things out of context or proportion to try make a point....

Should you wish to visit wellington by sea rather than air or road here is a link to our bylaws http://www.gw.govt.nz/navigation-and-safety/ 

Should there be a standard set of rules? well a lot are already but that is Central governments job and moaning at those trying to work within the existing system wont actually achieve much.

Knot Me as a fellow 'Knot really a 930 owner ( Ballistic)  I read many of your comments with amusement.  Regional Councils do exist south of the Bombay hills and they are bound by statute to adminster the Harbours Act, MoT, RMA etc . The relevant bylaws as Grant points out are readily available via the interweb thingy, a casual call to the relevant regional council or in most cases a call to the local boat or yacht club. ...oh and by the way there is a current almanac on the boat....although much of the relevant  and most relevant info is easily accessible now via the interweb through the ministry website, LINZ or Coastguard

• Upvote 1