Superfoilers

A few people have quite a bit of money riding on the success of these. They’re hoping to rival the 18s in their heyday.

The early testing showed that they were blindingly fast from day 1, but are a real handful. They have a tendency to absolutely launch with spectacular results. I think the 1st injury was in the first few hours.

Corporate money and selling the show to the public is going to be the biggest hurdle, because they are not cheap and the guys sailing them will want to be paid well.

Here's video of the incident behind the photo above -

Looks like a design disaster to me... sailing at speed in flat water, they ripped the back 2 feet of the ama off.

In another report, the mark hook was earlier on, which may have hurt it structurally. You can see in 1 of the videos that the stern comes off when it crashes back down. I'm no expert on this, but there seems to be a very large surface area underneath this beast and at 40-50kts apparent, I can't see how they are going to stop these things trying to leave the water.