Cabin Heaters

4 kW in a boat sounds fairly big to me. But I would have thought the big variables would be where the boat is going to be (climate) and how well insulated it is. Big difference between Auckland in the winter, Fiordland, the Sub Antartic islands or Patagonia.

Boats have much smaller air volume than houses to heat, but have a substantially different environment obviously with moisture, ventilation etc.

I'm not aware of any rules of thumb though. I would think there are too many variables with location, climate and type of boat.

BP check that the unit is complete including the exterior exhaust fitting.

Installation is pretty straight forward.

Wallis also do a nifty cooker come heater, not cheap though.

Ducting, vent grills and other bits and pieces if required can be purchased easily.

Yes targeted areas is good. Get the duct outlets with louvre ends you can close off heat to areas not being used.

I have one ducting pipe that runs under the floor of the shower and loo that makes the floor nice and warm first thing. 

Or you can get an Eberspacher that heats glycol rather than just air, & circulates it thru little heater matrixes.

Put a few of those where you want. You can even run it thru some pipe in the head & have a heated towel rail.

On Bad Kitty it runs thru the hot water cylinder also, heats the water.