yacht in big trouble off Whangarei

Have been following this on the coastguard Facebook, nzherald etc.

There were initial reports they couldn't steer, but that doesn't seem to match with the latest updates. I saw an update a couple of hours ago saying the rescue helicopter was being dispatched to winch them off, but I've just seen another update saying it was too rough and they've been told to go and shelter in the lee of the poor knights for another night.

must be able to steer. If they can make it to the poor knights, then should be ok. Some of the reports dont make sense to me. Compass problems..., Steering, navigation systems...

A well found 12m yacht should be fine in these conditions. It would be interesting to know the real story...

Yep it is sounding odd. We have been following it on channel 16 as quite close.

Listening to helimed earlier- sounded like the chopper guys were questioning why the crew wanted to come off.

Funniest earlier they arrived at poor knights. 38m depth, only 40m of chain - next problem for them to be talked through.

I don't understand, if they can manuevour to the Poor Knights, why not just run into Whangaruru? its 20 nm away, almost dead down wind, wide open entrance, easy pesy safe inside.

I can understand getting in through the Tutukaka heads can be a bit intimidating with a swell running. 

I don't really understand what the issues are with getting into Whangarei, I'm assuming the big swell starts standing up, and the risk is broaching and rolling the boat? 

If the swell is this dangerous then I'm assuming Whangaruru is out, but then the whole coast would in theory be deadly from breaking seas, just from the swell?

Tuts is currently 29 gusting 33, and steady over the last 6 hrs. The wind isn't outrageous, but that coast sure can have a big swell rocking in, especially with this high over the Chathams running easterly / south easterly in. If you weren't particularly experinced the wind forecast wouldn't have given much of a warning of what the sea state would be like.

Not wanting to judge, there is a big psychological element to these things, once you are spooked (and tired, and not thinking straight) things can seem very big and out of control.

Turn around and run back to the B.o.I. ???

Yeah I was wondering why this didn't seem to be considered. from there to oki or somewhere in se of 30 odd knots in a solid 40 footer doesn't sound so tough.

Yeah I was wondering why this didn't seem to be considered. from there to oki or somewhere in se of 30 odd knots in a solid 40 footer doesn't sound so tough.

Whangaruru is right there though, 20 nm from the Poor Knights, and fairly much dead down wind. Avoids the need to go round Cape Brett.

Am I missing something?

Whangaruru is right there though, 20 nm from the Poor Knights, and fairly much dead down wind. Avoids the need to go round Cape Brett.

Am I missing something?

Whangaruru would sound good to me too. I guess if they're having navigation difficulties and aren't familiar with the coast it could be hard to pick out? Cape brett not so bad if you give it a wide berth and don't do anything brave like trying to go through the gap. Then once around hopefully more sheltered and able to find somewhere to stop...

Whangaruru would sound good to me too. I guess if they're having navigation difficulties and aren't familiar with the coast it could be hard to pick out? Cape brett not so bad if you give it a wide berth and don't do anything brave like trying to go through the gap. Then once around hopefully more sheltered and able to find somewhere to stop...

Yeah, 31 nm to get around Cape Brett and into Deep Water Cove, not substantially different to the 20 nm straight into Whangaruru, but we obviously aren't privvy to some key details about what is wrong / going on. I'd love to speculate but wont (just yet).

Just for my understanding, what is the issue with going into Whangarei with a big swell running? is it wind over tide with the outgoing tide from the Harbour, and just big steep nasty waves?

The entrance to Whangarei can be nasty, esp in a E to SE, outgoing tide. Steep, breaking waves. Wave buoy had 5-6m this morning... Coast Guard would not go out through it, and it's worse coming in... 

Sounds like poor visibility and not much in the way of Navigation ability, maybe issues with the electronics?

Whangerei would be my choice as well from there but would be a surf in on big swells and if you got off course there are some shoal areas so could get into strife if you didn't know where to go.

IMO, closing on a lee shore, with a list of other failures already, esp steering, when breaking waves at the entrance to Whangarei, is foolhardy. Add to that it's now dark...

Better to weather cape Brett, with a good offing, and come into it's lee. Last I heard, I hope correctly, they were at the poor knights??