yacht in big trouble off Whangarei

You would be amazed at the amount of poos discharged every time it rains in Auckland,the overflow pipe from sunset rd sewage works runs about 1/2 km out to sea from mairangi bay.(ever wondered when sailing in that area you come across dirty water in that area?)there is not one beach I would swim at in the inner gulf. Not just sewage but all the heavy metals/waste oil/sediment from storm water. The bay next to shark bay ,ponui,chamberlains??its the one that dries right out,use to be plentiful cockles found on soft mud,was there a few weeks ago and where we use to collect cockles is now black sludge and that over a period of time is from the subdivision works from pine harbour down to kawakawa bay. The small island off pine harbour use to have nice firm mussels but now they are soft smelly things caused by antifoul/dredging that has gone on over the years to form pine harbour

Have done water testing at woody bay (rakino)over a long weekend when there has been roughly 40/50 vessels in that vicinity and sample taken were clear. it may be because of holding tanks but I doubt it.

Got it one harrytom.  After all is it not true that every time it rains in Auckland the council pumps raw sewage straight out into the harbour ?  Its just easier for those underworked and overpaid council employees and councilers to lay the blame on boaties.  Heaven forbid that they should fix up there own crap first.

• Upvote 1

Goff has blamed the sewerage issue on the bad underground pipes. He reckons it has been a 100yr old problem. I think that is a load of rubbish. Or should that be sewerage. He also reckons it could take 30 to 40yrs to fix. I think that is simply due to Auckland being broke and money wasted in other areas, while the important infrastructure is left in ruins.

Thanks for the PM sent, without going into what I do for a profession, I also know a lot about water quality and the source of contaminants in Auckland, and other parts of NZ. Yes septic tanks and failing wastewater systems are a large source of faecal contamination.

But I think you've missed my point. Just cause there is an existing water quality issue doesn't means its ok to sh*t in a bay. The primary problem with doing that off yachts is the what can be described technically as 'visible gross contaminants' - I don't want to see giant turds and toilet paper in the water when I'm swimming, or washing up on the beaches where my kids are playing. Its just a common curtesy, in exactly the same way that everyone is so upset with freedom campers shitting in the bushes.

Its really not hard to use a holding tank. Its very easy to empty them in deep water. I really don't see what the issue is?

Goff has blamed the sewerage issue on the bad underground pipes. He reckons it has been a 100yr old problem. I think that is a load of rubbish. Or should that be sewerage. He also reckons it could take 30 to 40yrs to fix. I think that is simply due to Auckland being broke and money wasted in other areas, while the important infrastructure is left in ruins.

Most of the central isthmus area has combined stormwater and wastewater pipes. They are in the order of 100 years old. When it rains, the wastewater goes straight into the harbour. Meolia / Coxes creek is worse.

• Upvote 1

Combined is very different to ailing or failing. Combined would mean sewerage would be going into the bays all the time. But that is not the case. This problem is when you get heavy rain and much of Auckland that has the issue is not 100yrs old. Or even close.

While my knowledge on the subject is limited, I'm led to believe from the reading I've done that part of the problem is the rapid massive population increases in Auckland in the last ten years?

Trouble is their solution to the problem is to complain about boaties instead of getting their collective snouts out of the trough long enough to do something about the problem.  Yes it will be expensive and yes it will take some time but it is a problem created by auckland so they should damn well fix it.  Damn lefties.

• Upvote 1

Fish said "Sounds like you may have some prior knowledge or insider trading going on here."

Fish, That's insulting. I have no insider knowledge.

I'm happy to exclude govt from the bet. Like I said, you bet that a registered charity or business cites this incident within the next two years when they call for mandatory boat driver licensing. I bet they won't. Bet?

Trouble is their solution to the problem is to complain about boaties instead of getting their collective snouts out of the trough long enough to do something about the problem.  Yes it will be expensive and yes it will take some time but it is a problem created by auckland so they should damn well fix it.  Damn lefties.

Goff is planning to do something about it isn't he?  Or at least he's talking about trying to plan and do something about it.

Jetski registration came about because they are essentially unidentifiable and there are now lots of the little suckers. We all have sail numbers or names on the side. 

I learnt not to swim anywhere after big rain in the 70's, taught by my father who grew up in AKL in the 30's and 40's just like any sensible parent would teach them.

I'd argue that the water is cleaner now but the testing is far more accurate and localised so we have a more accurate picture.

Not disputing that it could be better but common sense still applies...big rain = runoff.

As for wanting to take a dump in a bay with no holding tank....whats the name of your boat? So I can stay well away. Those days are gone and we are better off for it.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Combined is very different to ailing or failing. Combined would mean sewerage would be going into the bays all the time. But that is not the case. This problem is when you get heavy rain and much of Auckland that has the issue is not 100yrs old. Or even close.

Like I said, the majority of the system in the central isthmus is combined. We use very advanced complex technology called 'weirs', so that in dry weather all the flow goes into the trunk wastewater lines, in wet weather these are inundated, so the flow is bypassed via weirs and other really really complex things like overflow pipes to just spill into the harbour. 

That is the combined systems though. Most of the 'dedicated' wastewater networks leak like a sieve, meaning that when it rains, we get 15 to 25 times the normal dry weather flow in them. This means that the dedicated wastewater networks usually spill into the harbour also. It is fair to call these 'old and failing' also, as Goff did, that is an accurate description. North Shore, Orewa and Red Beach areas are notable for this, but are not unique for any infrastructure constructed between the 50's to the 90's.

Even modern (new) wastewater systems are designed to carry twice as much stormwater as normal dry weather wastewater flows. There is a phenomenal amount of stormwater in the wastewater network.

I think it is important to note that no one has ever blamed yachties solely for the water quality issues. (to be fair it would appear we are solely blamed for most biosecurity issues). Water quality issues are a basic side effect of urbanisation.

Two important points:

1) For the first time ever, Goff's Council are advocating for a 'clean waters levie', they are consulting on this now, I think its about $100 / household / year. There is widespread acceptance across all aspects of Auckland (Council, developers etc) that the infrastructure is stuffed, and money is needed to fix it. This is partly to enable upgrades for land development (population growth), but also to repair or upgrade the 'old and failing' systems to fix the water quality issues.

2) Shitting in a bay without a holding tank is a separate issue to water quality. It is just downright offensive. It is the same as squating on the sand on the beach and leaving a giant steaming turd there for others to step in or trip over. The whole country is up in arms about freedom campers shitting in the bushes. This is no different. More so when the offenders are well off yachties on comfy sailing boats anchored in idyllic bays. Turds float around bays, the better the water quality (clearer water) the easier it is to see them. The fact that we even need to discuss this as a common decency demonstrates why there is a need for bylaws and regulations around it. The alternative is giant signs on the beaches reading "THE LAYING OF GIANT STEAMING TURDS ON THE BEACH IS PROHIBITED"... Apparently people actually need to be convinced of this!

Fish said "Sounds like you may have some prior knowledge or insider trading going on here."

Fish, That's insulting. I have no insider knowledge.

I'm happy to exclude govt from the bet. Like I said, you bet that a registered charity or business cites this incident within the next two years when they call for mandatory boat driver licensing. I bet they won't. Bet?

Didn't mean to insult you there Kevin, another way to say it, 'you appear to have more insight into this topic than I do'.

I was actually wanting to include govt, but I am happy to accept the bet on the wording above. Bet on.

Up here in my multi million dollar Ponsonby Palace there is no separated stormwater and sewer system.

The system is old like scary old and it will take a major effort and cost to remedy.

Some of the fresh water supply system still runs in asbestos pipes and it amazes me that the whole system copes as well as it does.

However if you ever have the unfortunate experience of having to deal with Watercare Services in either a private or professional capacity you are in for a giant shock.

Simply as much use as tits on bull.

Back to the holding tank issue If I had the room I would go the Airhead way.

I managed to slot in a 65 litre holding tank that touch wood has had no issues for 15 years so it is not rocket science or big bickies to do.

If you want to blame someone for the state of the council sewers, blame yourselves. For the last 30 or so years no mayor has been elected who has said " I will fix Auckland's drainage problem but it will cost". The problem in this country is we either go for the cheapest option or do nothing at all. You are sailing in the result.

• Upvote 1

Actually there are examples of the boaties being blamed totally, the ones I am well aware of were Oneroa in the early nineties, when traced the source of the contamination was actually proven to be the beachside toilet  -now gone I think? And far more recently the Westhaven debacle -a few years back before we had all the liveaboards that are there now, water quality fails blamed on the boats then slowly traced back to the ancient pipes coming out about halfway along the boardwalk past the launching ramp -yes from Ponsonby. And even on the newer side of Westhaven the fresh water pipes are asbestos slowly being changed .

• Upvote 1