yacht in big trouble off Whangarei

The emergency tiller in these Benetaus are not very useful. I understand they are just a T bar with short handles like you see here:

http://www.pbo.co.uk/seamanship/using-an-emergency-tiller-25196 

If these guys were having to use that arrangement, I can see how they got into trouble. Friends of ours on a Oceanis 50 managed to break both their Autopilot and steering cables mid ocean and had to use the emergency tiller for about 12 hours while they repaired the cables. The wife did most of the steering during that and her hands were numb for days afterwards.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Coastguard attempted FOUR rescues. Including from helicopter. I'm fairly sure they would have 'just towed the boat in' if they could have. It certainly wasn't a case of not thinking of it...

Jetski registration came about because they are essentially unidentifiable and there are now lots of the little suckers. We all have sail numbers or names on the side.    I learnt not to swim anywhe

the fact that cg couldn't get out to them says a lot about the conditions, i'd say.

Posted Images

I have a funny feeling this incident will, at some point in the future, be used to justify compulsory licencing.

In fact, I'd bet a good bottle of whisky on it.

Currently I don't know all of the details (neither do the Police / Search controller), but based on the Police's open criticism of the skipper, the multiple rescue attempts with multiple rescue assets, including three helicopter rescues, the duration of the incident and the risk that both volunteer and professional rescuers were placed at, topped off by a paramedic swimmer actually getting onto the vessel, then leaving again without the crew, apparently as they had changed their mind about wanting to be rescued, I suspect the officials will be more than able to use this incident as justification. 

fish, what's your predicted timeframe on compulsory skipper licences? I may be willing to take your bet, even though I support compulsory licences, one of which I have for another jurisdiction.

Too hard to predict a timeframe. Like anything in Local Govt / Bureaucracy it will be death by 1,000 cuts, a little bit of bylaw here, a bit of volunteery licencing here, bit of LJ inforcement, probably change the rules around drinking on boats. I didn't realise registration is compulsory for jetski's already. (not saying that is a bad thing, just that it is already happening). There will no doubt be a link to more official requirements to biosecurity management, quiet possibly around fees and funding.

Do you honestly think a license would have made one whit of difference in this instance?

Can't comment, don't know the circumstances, but I don't think that is relevant to the question. The Police search controller has a bee in his bonnet. There are very few things officials can do preceding incidence like this. Things they may consider are compulsory boat registration, compulsory (or more stringent) safety requirements (noted the thing was in charter and subject to 'Safe Ships' or whatever bollocks it is called) and then compulsory licencing of the skipper.

We have compulsory drivers licencing (just not for the highest risk category of drivers, tourists), but still 100's die on our roads every year.

Do mountaineers need a license?

Do people that go for a bushwalk need a license?

Do people that go to beach for a swim need a license?

All these three activities have had fatal consequences for punters multiple times.

Why are boaters / sailors seemingly singled out that we should be licensed?

All these three activities have had fatal consequences for punters multiple times.

because we are perceived as 'rich'.

Generally mountaineers, bush walkers and beach swimmers are more than happy to be rescued once they've declared they need to be rescued, and rescuers reach them, and tend to only need rescuing once. (as opposed to getting a paramedic swimmer on board then not wanting to be rescued)

Additionally, each of those three examples generally can't self-rescue once they've declared they need rescuing, where as, and I think specifically in this case, the crew could have self rescued, in the eyes of the Police Controller, if they'd stayed in the lee of the Poor Knights (rightly or wrongly).

And its not about the fatal consequences, it is about the cost of multiple attempted rescue, and the risk placed on rescuers.

Getting a paramedic swimmer onboard and then not being rescued is a very very big deal, having declared an emergency, and then still needing rescuing later by the same helicopter / swimmer.

Don't get me wrong, I don't support licencing, I'm just putting it out there that the circumstances of this situation will possibly be used to justify licencing...