Today the media is saying he was not clipped on. Most of us don't clip on occasionally when we should. This is a very poignant reminder to us all, as KM said. 

The report I heard was knocked off the boat by the boom, not clipped on, possibly/probably unconscious in the water. That would explain no PLB activation. A very sad event.  

I cruise solo or short handed so can’t usually rely on anyone rescuing me, and realise the risk of going over due to human nature, gear failure or whatever reason is real . This sad loss encourages me to reinstate my last chance line, a long floating line with a float and loop on the end, that can be rigged to disconnect the autopilot or Windvane and even release the sheets or round the boat up when weight comes on it. I am not racing or normally sailing particularly fast so although It may not save me if I should go over for any reason and still be conscious at least I would have a chance.

KM is spot on - it so easy to get complacent.

But don't get in a car if you are really worried about risk.

Off topic I know but the drone footage has been amazing.

Can anyone tell me the purpose of the jockey poles - they are a long way aft ?

Hi hearing how it happened ,trying to get forward to help the ship , very sad. , we have all done it in our waters and weather , it’s a risk and I will venture forward tomorrow a few times alone wide eyed keeping an eye on the boom to do something ,

proper oceanic survival suits 

are too bulky to work in

they are designed to be be put on only when the 'ship' 

is sinking or the oil rig burning

services-Immersion-suit2-24-900x630.jpg

a daily 'work' suit that can be immersed is quite different

31706_222-2-main_1.png

but unfortunately uses the same name

though undoubtedly different standards

We have both of those onboard, a true survival suit is very difficult to move in and near impossible to sail a yacht whilst wearing one.

Drysuits are fantastic for sailing in, warm and dry but would eventually get wet if you were immersed for any length of time as they are simply multiple layers of Goretex with seals at the cuffs and neck. Great for winter racing.

I did wonder why the AIS could not be found. They had Auto AIS SARTs on their lifejackets. Turns out the AIS transponder on the boat could not receive - broken antenna. An interesting article on the NY times...

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/18/sports/volvo-ocean-race.html?rref=collection%2Fissuecollection%2Ftodays-new-york-times&action=click&contentCollection=todayspaper&region=rank&module=package&version=highlights&contentPlacement=8&pgtype=collection

Sad story...

“If we had our A.I.S., we would have found him,” Witt said. “I’ve learned that redundancies in this system is an example of change, like a second antenna.”

Sad indeed.