Swapping out halyards

When replacing a halyard (or anything that tracks through the mast), I assume you tie the new halyard to the old one and pull it through until the old one is completely replaced by the new one. 

Is there a recommended process or knot for binding the old and new halyards?  One that would ensure the join doesn't catch on any tracks or spools inside the mast, thereby turning the whole job to custard with neither the new or old halyard left in the mast?

Thanks,

Justin

I just replaced the main halyard , I tried several idears but the one that worked was out with the needle I stitched the two together loosely about an inch apart three stitches ,tied off , pulled it to see if it was strong and some electrical tape around , presto worked perfect with the inch gap allowed the old halyard to go over the pull and the new to follow , no mad pulling or tugging and out it cam of the mast , good luck

Some great advice there, thank you.  Conditions were too good for tinkering over the weekend and had to go for a sail instead.  Will give it a crack next weekend (unless I go shopping for one of those coffee tables). 

In the old days of three strand rope we used to use a long  splice but with today's  boats having braided line stitching and taping is probably the easiest method. An alternative to using tape is to use heat shrink tubing as it is strong and compresses the area where the ropes join.