eruptn

Electric cars, some science on the battery packs

news story today pointed out that was a furfy

It was suggested make the new roads toll roads - the answer was the roads concerned there was not enough traffic volume to make them viable because if the toll was to high to get the required revenue people would not use them / pay.  

it was pointed out what a furfy that was in a news story today

public transport never covers cost

but that doesn't stop gov. pushing it to the hilt

https://www.instituteforenergyresearch.org/international-issues/electric-vehicles-in-germany-emit-more-carbon-dioxide-than-diesel-vehicles/?fbclid=IwAR3hn7C-YsNjeAehJd8gcTNWeTC5x29-R72z5DIka3lgYGwaDBwMNVW6wzY

A study by the IFO think tank in Munich found that electric vehicles in Germany emit 11 percent to 28 percent more carbon dioxide than their diesel counterparts. The study considered the production of batteries as well as the German electricity mix in making this determination. Germany spent thousands of euros on electric car subsidies per vehicle to put a million electric vehicles on the road, but those subsidies have done nothing to reach the country’s greenhouse gas emission targets.

Im always suspicious of articles like that HT. It took about 2 minutes to find out it was funded by the Koch brothers.

Isn't everything :) :)  Don't forget for every Koch, real or mythical as many are, there is the anti-Koch doing the exact same 'creative' thing.

As a FYI, that isn't the only study that comes to the same conclusion. Even Volvo said the other day making electric is was dirtier than ICE but the benefits are there if the vehicle stays on the road long enough, which seems to be around 8 years from most I've seen. One last week said 10 years but wasn't qualified that well. That time frame should shorten as technologies develop....or at least you'd hope so.

The Ministers Office got back to me this morning, not interested in or have any plans for motorcycles or anything but cars. Sadly that was the expected response.

The alternative view if you are interested.

So, are battery electric vehicles better for the environment than internal combustion vehicles? Yes, they are.

During their useful life, EVs produce considerably lower emissions than petrol or diesel-powered vehicles even when taking into account electricity generation. One study found that an electric car powered by electricity generated by an exclusively coal-fired grid roughly equalled the carbon emissions of an ICE-powered vehicle. As battery production gets more efficient, pre-vehicle carbon emissions will reduce too, especially as dirtier plants adopt cleaner methods. Even taking into account current practises, higher emissions from battery production are paid off after two years on the road compared with a conventional vehicle.

One scary point for the recyclers however:

Extracting Lithium from a battery costs five times mining raw Lithium

Some emission numbers -

Toyota Prius - 'as low as 68g/km' - manufacturers number, has many doubters

Nissan Leaf - 'No tailpipe emissions' - manufactures number, has some wondering why it couched in that manner.

Toyota Corolla 2019 5 door hatch - '97 g/km combined' - manufactures number

Ford Ranger 2x4 double cab 2019 2.2l - '203 g/km' - manufacturers number

50cc scooter 4 stroke - lots of chatter about being bugger all but no numbers

50cc scooter 2 stroke - again chatter about low but not as good as the 4 strokes but no numbers

My big Kawasaki - 0.2g/km of nitrous and 0.4g/km of CO2 - documents in the hands of the State of California. Seems a bit too good.

The 2019 version of my big Kawasaki - decreased by nearly 50% over mine - California again, still seems a bit too good.

My 3yo Ssingsong ute - 203g/km - Aussie fleet car website, 199g/km on the Ssingsong NZ website

I do suspect there maybe some varying measurement systems but very shortly most vehicles will have a EU or Euro rating number which means the same standardised measurement system is used. There are quite a few measurement variations around the world currently.

Interesting snippet. There is a carbon footprint website where you can put in your life and it tells you how much carbon you're putting out. In every case the numbers it has for emissions is far far bigger than everyone else. In the case of my big bike it is suggesting the emissions are 6700% higher than the State of California, a very green almost psychotic green state. One wonders why such a huge difference.

Another from "green car reports' that suggests a Nissan leafs emissions, including manufacturing, over a 179,000 mile life will be 1/2 of what an equivalent ICE version would be. I was expecting a sh*t load more than that from all the talk. But it also mentions that is based on todays (2017) ICE engines which are being greened up very quickly and with some very good reductions so that mileage will be increasing all the time.

I think the conclusion at the moment is there is too much smoke and mirrors for people to have a good clean understanding of what is doing what where but there is no doubt 2 wheels is far superior than 4 and will stay that way. Also it depends GREATLY on where a EV is to how green it actually is. In NZ most are greener than most of the world as they are topped up by 85% wind and water but in most countries they are topped up by fossil fuel generated power bugs. So again smoke and mirrors abound.

Even more superior when you consider NZ's average passage load is 1.5 people. The governments drive to reduce emission is to get that to 2 people. So next time you see a motorbike with 2 people on it you should be be embarrassed at how sh*t your emission are compared to them. Shame you lazy sh*t car drivers are so keen and quick to murder those valiant eco warriors who are doing so much more than you to save the planet.

When one calculates the CO2 emissions of a car AND its manufacturing, how deep does one go? Do you account for the commuting of the workers who mined the ore? Or the farting from the beans they ate the night before? Or perhaps the breathing of those who commuted by bicycle...

Only asking the question to be sure that when comparisons are made, the comparison is comparing the same thing on both sides. 

Do what you can

The dont have children is interesting, it has the greatest impact undoubtedly. In NZ the fertility rate is 1.7, well below replacement and dropping. This is true in most developed countries. And it is proven the best/only way to effect similar behavior in developing and underdeveloped nations is give them decent healthcare and education, particularly the women.

So if you are worried about climate change put money and effort into schools and hospitals in 3rd world countries.

This would cost about 1% of the global military budget.

But i have a low opinion of collective human intelligence and dont see it happening

Goodbye world.