Newick Echo

Ah but very seaworthy, yes that traveller was very nice and an amazing passagemaker. but more comparable to a compact monohull than the floating bach/ multi bunkroom typical frog /South african charter cat.

The only issue I could see with her was where do you tie up unless you had a well sheltered swing mooring? And the usual multi issues in the gulf anchorages over summer... 

Yup they are a bit of a" bed and bucket "but it sure can crack along. I am drawn to the concept more than say a Farrier which costs a whole bunch more.

The mooring conundrum in a way constrains the local coastal sailboat fleet from expanding its design options which is kinda becoming bland and boring.

Dick gave a great talk at NZMYC a few years back. Newicks boats were generally not designed with accomodation as a priority. I had an interesting email exchange with him about developing his old F28 concept tri into an 8.5. He thought it was a great idea but I couldn't afford the custom design fee. I have his 'pack of study plans' he used to sell and dig them out every so often for a drool...

His designs took an interesting turn towards the end of his life with more 'spacious' main hulls and bigger floats. These boats are more modern looking, but arguably less graceful than his earlier efforts.

See http://outrigmedia.com/outrig/multihulls-media/dick-newick-designed-trimaran-mocking-bird-now-for-sale/

Also a nice clip of a NZ Echo sailing

Beautiful boats, right up my alley.

I've admired K'vort from a distance for many years, would dearly love to do a gulf race on her or something similar in a decent breeze, like all the older Newicks she just looks right.

I looked at the Newick traveller 52 ft that used to be at westhaven, great long distance sailer but not much room at all inside , and the 36 is pretty cramped.

The Neel 51 has plenty of room inside. 

neel-51-trimaran.jpg