Man overboard question

It’s the wet weather gear full of water I tried it. It’s almost impossible to move with it on , you can’t swim , kick your legs , trying to paddle with your arms is same The mob is totally reliant on being picked up , try and get the sea boots off Don’t go over the side ,

We have a Jon Bouy, i figure deploy it and try to use it to get onto the transom step of the yacht.  In a sea way agree this could be bad but with the ladder down I think doable.  

Agree it's one of those things, don't fall off the boat in the first place.  

Many, many years ago, we took my mate's uncle out for a sail on the Piedy on a reasonably blustery day.   At one point we crash gybed the Piedy same as always and after a minute or so, realised uncle John, who'd been sitting near the stern, was no longer with us.  He was wearing full wet weather gear and boots, no life jacket.  Hey, it was a Piedy and a long time ago!

Anyway, we went back to get him, a bit worried he was going to sink out of sight with all that gear on, and found him happily floating on the surface waiting for us.  He'd done a lot of sailing so hadn't panicked.  He'd quickly grabbed the collar of his wet weather jacket so that there was a big bubble of air trapped in the shoulders of his jacket and lifted his boots up so they had trapped air as well and was on his back patiently waiting to be hauled back on board.  Said he'd always wanted to test his theory.  I've been meaning to try it,…. for about thirty five years.

• Upvote 3