https://boatingnz.co.nz/articles/alone-through-the-roaring-forties/

Lehg-IIs-Voyage-around-the-world-via-the

Dumas’ route was largely dictated by WWII: any other would have led him into waters bloodied by naval battles

His toolkit consisted of one screwdriver, which he dropped overboard.

He had no self-steering gear – it had yet to be invented 

Somewhere between South America and South Africa, he came to the conclusion that he would have to amputate his monstrously swollen and infected arm with an axe. Fortunately, before he could lift the axe he passed out on his bunk.

Hours later he awoke with a three-inch hole in his arm and a pool of pus and blood. The limb had begun to heal itself. He recorded his relief in true sailor understatement: “As I moved my arm it felt lighter. Thank God!”

Dumas’ congeniality was irrepressible. He held conversations with voices in the rigging,

Immediately below the Indian Ocean, Dumas got the hiding of his life. “Lehg II was sailing in a roaring, majestic inferno. The waves exceeded 40 to 50 feet, stood up like walls and rushed along at great speed.

When I was in the trough I could hardly believe that the boat would rise again instead of going to the bottom in 1,500 fathoms.” He responded with the only help at hand: rum and brandy, which he “took down like water.”

After the adventures of the Indian Ocean, Wellington became his second port of call where he was promptly adopted as an honorary son by the Meadows family. When he set sail again bound for Chile it was with warm memories and copies of a Wellington newspaper, The Evening Post, stuffed into his clothes to insulate him from the cold

The final hurdle for Dumas and Lehg II was Cape Horn. Strangely, he chose the depths of the southern hemisphere winter to attempt this, something eschewed even by modern sailors.

He awaited his chance at the port of Valparaiso on Chile’s Pacific coast and it was there that some old salts had told him that midwinter could sometimes be the calmest time around the Horn; in taking their advice he ignored other voices of doom on the wharves and in the drinking houses.

speaking of big trips

the gear just keeps getting better

• Small, rugged, lightweight satellite communicator enables two-way text messaging via 100% global Iridium® satellite network (satellite subscription required)
  • Trigger an interactive SOS to the 24/7 search and rescue monitoring center (satellite subscription required)
  • Optional inReach weather forecast service provides detailed updates directly to your inReach Mini or paired device; basic and premium weather packages available

cf-lg-7723cfb6-c11b-4761-a41e-96dd0983e1

https://buy.garmin.com/en-NZ/NZ/p/592606

does swirly

have enough solar real estate

for andy's video plans + sat. transmitters?

How many of you are really going to pony up and support this altruistic endeavour with cash or resources.

Easy to bang on from the sidelines but I just think it’s a journey for fools.

That’s my opinion.

I’m giving my loot to the members of our community that are in urgent need of cash to just stay alive.

Givealittle have a look.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Nicely put steadfast...far too much brainwashing going on in modern western capitalist democracies. Freedom of choice is key...and that freedom (or lack of) is a direct result of your previous choices.

We live in a pretty free society. If he wants to do it -good on him and I wish him every success. Andrew is an accomplished sailor. going back to his childhood. Failure won't be in his plan. David Lewis described dreamers as those of the night and those of the day. Andrew is certainly the latter.

FFS Priscilla is it possible to be more negative? His life, he knows what he is doing, & is prepared to take a risk. I wish him all the best.

Oh, and good luck if you drive to the dairy today!

• Upvote 2

FFS Priscilla is it possible to be more negative? His life, he knows what he is doing, & is prepared to take a risk. I wish him all the best.

Oh, and good luck if you drive to the dairy today!

Absolutely - getting in the car is way more risky - the discomfort and the very long time talking to yourself would put me off.

Just finished reading a book about 2 guys rowing across the Atlantic in a 7m boat. Would imagine the discomfort would be about the same on swirly world. They could hardly stand when they finaley got ashore, and that was after 72 days. Try 14 months.

Not being negative at all.

Some of you may think so that’s your call but I doubt that this journey will actually take place.

If you give Andrew funds and he perishes doing what he loved are you getting value for your money sitting on your couch.

• Downvote 2

The vast majority of people live their adventures through others...

History is full of support , financial and otherwise of those who choose to tackle a "great adventure".

There are a number of people who are out there sailing in a very comfortable manner and telling their story in exchange for support to do it...

As much as I fully support safe practices , I also take my hat off to those rare individuals who reasearch and prepare, then take on tests of human endeavour. . Captain Cook went well into far southern latitudes. The early clippers went far far south...Friends of mine went down into the antarctic circle and the Ballaney Islands in a sailing boat this last season...They all had their reasons. 

So what and why of those is fool hardy ?

How many people have died climbing mountains ? Why is that deemed "more noble " ?

Racing cars at very high speed  ?  Wing suit flying ? Free climbing ? 

The list is as extensive as human risk.

I do not see why nautical pursuits should be quarantined from this list. 

Is it more noble to be the 8307th person to summit Everest ? 

Perhaps join the 288 people who have died attempting it .....

Thats around 1.27 % chance from the Nepal side and 1.15 % chance from the China side....

(  ) http://www.alanarnette.com/blog/2017/12/17/everest-by-the-numbers-2018-edition/

I would hope that the people who love and know me would never suggest that they know more about my happiness, to suggest that I dont do something that makes me happy....

Perhaps it is worth remembering that ..

"What we imagine for ourselves is often not what is real in life, and that goes for other people as well ".....

ps...he is unlikely to be a burden on tax payers either which way !!

• Upvote 3