Heavy weather cruising

Found this interesting read on the subject

https://www.facebook.com/followingsea.net/posts/664048880752984?__tn__=K-R

There was one I thought I saved but can't find it, a step by step on when to leave and when to make your decisions on route, thought it was by Bob McDavitt, the article below is similar but not as detailed, maybe someone else knows the one I'm thinking about.

https://www.noonsite.com/report/passage-planning-from-the-sw-pacific-to-nz/

Thread drift alert....

Knowing how to balance the helm is a great tool, especially when the auto pilot is not playing the game.

A couple of years ago I did a delivery of an old wooden clunker from Batemans Bay to Wollongong

The wind was just off the nose for the second part of the trip from Ulladulla. The skipper had jumped off with the other two crew and had been replaced by the skippers nephew who had fished a bit offshore but had never sailed.

12 hours after leaving Ulladulla we were only just past Jervois Bay, the nephew was feeling a little better and was able to stand his watch.

During the time alone on deck I had managed to find the perfect sail/rudder trim. With the main sheeted out just a little bit, the rudder just angled to leeward the boat settled into a path that kept us reasonably straight. As the Genoa filled it pushed the bow down, then the main would fill and push the bow up, when the sails started luffing the rudder would bear the boat away... And repeat

For you experienced cruisers (Matt , BP ? ) what have you found to be a good wind direction when  returning from Noumea ?

Chrs

Frank

Really hard to get this trip nice both ends at this time of year

I’ve always tried to get the front to pass across NZ when you are off Norfolk so your coming in on the back of it or halfway between it and the next one.

This will probably mean the first two days on the wind or motoring if your lucky.

One trip I did we motored or motorsaied the whole way, never turned the engine off from Noumea to Opua

If you happened to be watching the weather over the last week a lot of boats left 3 or 4 days ago. Opua/NZ is about to see 20 boats plus arriving over the next few days.

As Matt said , they sucked up the SE for a day dropping SW or west, motored in the middle by the looks and are riding that low pressure in now. I mean what's left of the low, the SW.

If you happened to be watching the weather over the last week a lot of boats left 3 or 4 days ago. Opua/NZ is about to see 20 boats plus arriving over the next few days.

As Matt said , they sucked up the SE for a day dropping SW or west, motored in the middle by the looks and are riding that low pressure in now. I mean what's left of the low, the SW.

yes, we were one of them, left Noumea last Wed 16th, headed out on a SE course which gradually turned south and died. Motored for 3 days in flat clam, wind came in 10.00 Monday 21st, picked up to WSW 15-20, gusting 25 in the afternoon and overnight. Yacht was like a horse heading for its home paddock, sailing fast. North Cape 6.00am, and tied up at Opua 7.00pm today Tuesday 22nd. We knew we were racing the front coming thru tonite. Had good weather advice from Bruce Buckley (Australia). Predictwind's models were all low on wind strength. A very good passage.

The bulk of the ICNZ fleet did not leave Noumea until Saturday, some are going slow, otherwise anchored at Norfolk Is waiting for the front to go through and the seas to abate 

It appears that the ICNZ tracking site is currently down, but when I last looked there was a ( multihull? ) showing 18.1 knots in a 27 knot breeze, He will be home in no time at all!!

Looking ahead, the wind tracks quickly to the east leaving the rest of the ex New Caledonia fleet in much lighter airs.

It appears that the ICNZ tracking site is currently down, but when I last looked there was a ( multihull? ) showing 18.1 knots in a 27 knot breeze, He will be home in no time at all!!

Looking ahead, the wind tracks quickly to the east leaving the rest of the ex New Caledonia fleet in much lighter airs.

That was Changes of Latitude, Ron Given 15m, she arrived Monday night

The yacht is Willpower, now the ICNZ tracking site is up again, she is showing 7 knots in 27 knots of wind

I imagine she is sailing into some boisterous conditions about now...