Old Schooner wreck on Muriwai

Its in great condition i wonder if it could be set afloat again

Its a archaeological relic so chances are of ever sailing the high seas again will be pretty limited.

Still I have seen craft liberated from the deep coastal sands that have ever probability of having new lives, a nautical version of Lazarus. 

fhMuwP3.jpg

Askoy 2

Belonged to Jacques Brel.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/auckland/local-news/northland/dargaville-districts/205256/Belgian-wreck-emerges-from-sand

dGPoZ8y.jpg

vO3GaOj.jpg

CzjjRbV.jpg

• Upvote 1

Jacques Brel.

Do not leave me now

I will cry no more 

I will talk no more 

Will hide Somehow 

Just to look at you 

dance and smile 

And to hear you 

sing And Then laugh 

Let me be for you 

The shadow of your shadow 

The shadow of your hand 

The shadow of your dog 

Do not leave me now 

Do not leave me now 

Do not leave me now 

Do not leave me now

Amazing write up about the stranding and rescue attempt someone had put up on the Historic Vessel Vega FB page.

https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/LT18650323.2.10?query=wreck%20daring%20&items_per_page=100&start_date=01-01-1865&end_date=31-12-1865&snippet=true&type=ARTICLE&fbclid=IwAR0rEHqRIdiHhGjngHMhQFD4ZJESkXwjjtPZeU-7hRjFxZUt_sKjhWwETA0

scroll down a bit for the Daring.  They pretty much had her off only to get skunked by a new swell arriving just as they had gotten her afloat again.

The owner walked from south Manukau head up to the stranding site to get her off, how far is that?  80km?.

I just discovered there's an entry for the Daring in the book NZ Shipwrecks by C. W. N. Ingram. The only detail that I have not seen reported elsewhere is this:

Previously, on June 1, 1864, the Daring stranded on the south side of the bar at Waikato Heads, and was reported to be a total wreck, but was subsequently repaired and refloated.