2018 Golden Globe Race

Absolutely 101% correct.

Some of the morons contributing to the decline of the sport are the ones who think you can't have a good race unless you're going very fast. Interestingly enough 99% of those morons have either standard speed boats and most have no boat at all.

I'm not sure I entirely agree. For one, I know that sailing at 12 knots upwind and 15 - 20 knots downwind on a GBE is significantly more fun than 4 knots everywhere on an h28.

The racing is really fun at high speed too as there are more passing lanes at high speed. if some one drops into a hole or gets a lift a boat which is out the back door can be right back in the game. 

I see kids all gravitating towards foiling boats and trapeze boats - because they are more fun to sail 

I am interested in the golden globe but I think the VOR or Vendee globe is more of a spectacle

After 16 days sailing, the fleet has now reached the first gate at the Canary Islands.

The leaders are sailing in trade winds with spinnakers up doing 8 knots.

We have one more withdrawal, and 3 have major issues with their self steering.

Kevin Farebrother, an Australian former Paratrooper who has made three successful assents up Mt Everest, conceded on Sunday “I’m not cut out for solo sailing.” He told race organisers that he could not contemplate sleeping below decks. “For me it is like getting into the back seat of a moving car to sleep when no-one is at the wheel. As a result, I’ve had very little sleep over the past two weeks…My boat is now for sale!”

http://goldengloberace.com/peche-and-slats-slug-it-out-at-the-front/

Just finished re reading A Race To Far by Chris Eakin and I was reminded of how Crowhurst impacted on Nigel Tetley .

Crikey they are still pumping out movies about that dickhead.

Nigels widow Eve passed away recently in Alderney aged 72 and Chris has some insightful interviews with all three of the wives of Tetley Moitessier and Crowhurst.

Well worth a read.

Anybody got a copy of Trimaran Solo by Nigel Tetley.

sTs4qFB.jpg  

Trimaran solo is a very rare book My dad and I searched for it for years as dad and were Piver fans having owned a couple I ended up finding a copy at the Waiheke market a few years ago was a great read give it to a friend as he has a great library collection of all those voyages The boat Victress was a standard Piver Victress design Crowhursts boat started out as the same design but he changed things in the design extra crossbeam,another layer of ply on the deck and shorted the rig putting a lot of extra weight into it.Teltey circumnavigated and was sailing up the Atlantic nursing the boat as it was falling to pieces when it sunk. Teltey was a great seamen to have achieved what he did and it shows that ply trimarans in the sixties were quite seaworthy if handled properly.Having grown up in the sixties with all the negative thoughts on multihulls.Also David Lewis circumnavigated the world in a catamaran with his two daughters in the early sixties

Authur Piver borrowed a 25ft trimaran of his own design built by a amateur home builder in San Fransisco to undertake a 500 mile qualifying passage and perished at sea.

Interestingly the original Golden Globe required no such prior sea passage experience to enter and Chay Blyth crossed the start line with his bilge keeper set to sail by others and read books on how to sail as he journeyed on. He thought broaching was normal boat behaviour.

Robin Knox made the subsequent BOC challengers qualify beforehand 14 years later on.

Shame about the cost of the book that Tetley wrote but considering he was the first to circumnavigate in a multi I may choose to honour the guys estate anyway.

Google Translate refers to a "broken bar" and I wasn't sure whether to interpret that as the tiller or boom. It turns out it was the tiller: https://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/2018/08/11/golden-globe-disaster-philippe-peche/. He has elected to drop out of the race.

I thought this was an interesting comment (again via Google Translate):

"I understood one thing quickly ... The old ones, those of the first edition, did not push their boats. When they wanted to fall, they slumped. While there, with Jean-Luc Van Den Heede (VDH) and Mark Slats in particular, we were really racing. We pushed our boats. I have never been under-wired. It is also probably the reason why I damaged my equipment prematurely. Some of our equipment, for example the pace regulators, is not made for this purpose. And probably one of my mistakes is not having shipped more hardware to repair. I should have brought anything and everything ... It would have always served me. "

Yes, apparently he broke his self steering, so used his emergency tiller to fix it.

Then he broke his tiller!

Shame, because Peche probably would have won the race if his boat stayed together.

On the other hand sounds like he didn't take enough tools and spares - the same problem seems to be affecting many of the others.

Apparently, the godfather (73 year old Jean-Luc van den Heede), has taken a small inflatable dinghy which he uses when fixing his self steering!

A bit more info... https://www.smh.com.au/national/western-australia/plane-dispatched-from-perth-to-rescue-sailor-20180923-p505gl.html

He was taking part in the solo around-the-world race when he sent a message that was received on Saturday.

"ACTIVATED EPIRB. CANT WALK. MIGHT NEED STRETCHER", it said.

A subsequent message read: "CAN MOVE TOES. FEEL NUMB. CAN'T EAT OR DRINK. TOUGH 2 REACH GRAB BAG".