Holding tank Gasket?

Hi all, while we're discussing holding tank hoses....... I'm building a sewage holding tank out of glassed, epoxy on ply. Half way through it - b&$ch of a job - why can't boat designers make at least some sections in straight lines with right angles???

Anyway, I'm thinking of making the top piece of ply removable - but that means I need a gasket to seal the top well to the box - for obvious reasons.

Any thoughts on what material to use as a gasket???

Mostly Every one else has plastic tanks with screw in fittings why complicate things taking a lid off a holding tank is not something i would want to do and you probably can clear a blockage from outside with wire or a hose

why can't boat designers make at least some sections in straight lines with right angles???

Because you DO NOT want a right angle elbow in your sewage line! Trust me boat designers know that :) :)

I think if you ever seen intestines you will understand sh*t actually goes around corners....

The problem is toilet paper, great wadges of it, or worse - the white mouse.  There is no surprise that neither of these forms part of the human diet.

Thanks KM - that's what I was planning on doing but wondered if there was, literally, a gasket material of some sort out there.

Decision made!! Yay.

However, several have raised the 'flowcoat' finish. I've read lots of stuff that says 4 to 6 coats of epoxy is fine as the protection and as the finish.

Why use flowcoat on a holding tank? And does it need a finish over itself in a holding tank?

And TL - I went everywhere trying to find a plastic one but nothing fitted the space(s) I wanted to use - without remodelling the forard 1/3 of the yacht..................

AndDtwo - trust me - at my age I know a thing or 2 about bowels and how they (sometimes don't) work!! Sigh.

LATERAL - thought about that but decided against it as I haven't a bloody clue how to do it - I understand plywood much better...............

Make sure your port cover has as much overlap as possible so the MS 'Gasket' has as much area as possible to bond.... more is better. Also tighten it down lightly so you don't squeeze the sealant out, tidy up and come back and nip up the fastenings a fraction after 24 hours.

Yep biggest problem is too much toilet paper or such things as tampons. Never had a problem with blockages in the last 40 odd years but 2 blockages (one of each type) in the last 6 months.

Not much fun is an understatement.

Can’t figure why people don’t understand multiple cautionary signs.

Now make doubly sure of briefing visitors as don’t want to go through that again.

Also got rid of a couple of right angle bends - replaced with hose.