Chatham islands

I was wondering why no one seems to go out there I popped out for a couple of weeks in feb,was the only yacht there.Was like New Zealand must have been like 100 years ago,ridiculous fishing,clear water,good holding.And only 400 miles out.Seems like an undiscovered paradise.

Thought about it heaps

But only ever heard horror stories about bad trips both ways and windy anchorages

Tell us about your trip

“Pics or it never happened”

Check out my facebook page dan scoltock i dont know how to post photos,i had to motor over no wind came home via lyttelton as strong northerlys all the way home couldnt get through cook straight,storm jib and triple reefed main most of the way.washed off all the birdshit though.

• Upvote 1

Hi Dan, 

I checked out your Facebook page and I see you have had some amazing adventures. Looks like you are living the dream and exploring everything the South Is. has to offer and more (Chathams)  Keep it coming, I hope to visit some of those spots within the next 5-10 years so I'll keep an eye out,

cheers Andy

• Upvote 1

Hi Dan,

This is the perfect trip for me to do in feb.  Can you tell me where are the best places to anchor over there?  Interestingly there seems to be a lagoon in the middle of the island but looks like you can't navigate there correct?

Any other usefull hints?  Can do this on the way back from the Sounds this year.  

Cheers

Tim

I spent a month cruising out there in the 90s. Crazy place.

Tim, Probably the only real all weather anchorage on the whole island is port hutt which is on the west side of waitangi bay. There is the wreck of the old steamship Thommas Currell there that you can tuck behind. Other than that its pretty limited. All the other spots are jam packed with fishing boats.

• Upvote 3

Took me a while to get to nelson strong northerlys wouldnt let me into cook straight ended up going via Lyttelton,left boat there for a week until had good conditions to get up coast.Big lagoon in centre of island is too shallow to navigate in.I tried to get to pitt island but weather pushed me back ended up in port hutt great spot there pinned there for a week by strong sw winds,had to come home after that.ended up building the paua diver a new ensuite as i was using his mooring,There is a very shallow reef in front of pub be aware of that,tide rise is only about a metre which makes the diving great.You can anchor in lots of spots around the island depending on the wind direction.Dont worry about the sharks unless the water is murky or you are near a seal colony.talking to one diver who had been diving there for 50 years he had only seen 7 great whites in the water and only 1 was agro.locals are great but have had some yachties demanding rides to town etc,i was very careful not to be one of those sorts.Im probaply heading back next year to build a house for a local not many tradesmen over there.I loved every minute of it.

Port hutt is a good anchorage just be aware of holding pots in the bay they are under small buoys,dropping your anchor on one wouldnt go down too well.Kevin Clark owns most of the bay he has the wharf with the sunken boat on it,I introduced myself and was made most welcome very nice bloke.Waitangi now has a breakwater so fairly safe anchorage now also.Floyd Pendergast is the hotel manager nice bloke too pays to call in and see him too for any local info.

• Upvote 1

We spent 6 weeks there in the 90's and loved it. I thoroughly recommend it

We went on a diving/cruising trip 

It has amazing diving/fishing/scenery and the locals are friendly and helpful. A 7kg (yes kg!) cray the biggest we caught from memory

Obviously it is isolated and can be windy/rough so you need to be prepared and self sufficient. As Booboo said not many "any weather" anchorages so our plan was to sail to deep water in a severe storm - however we didn't have to

My plan is to return again in a few years time as I cut back on work

Go for it

Dave