Crazyhorse

Galv, next best thing?

Had to grind off quite a lot from a crosby chain joiner before it wouldn't jam, now the galvanised coating is gone. Can't get it re-galved here, at leased I don't think so, nearest is Akl. Anyone know of the next best thing? Top quality zinc paint?

Avon have a rattle bed and are where we send the superboat gear. They do a great job.

But I'd just grab a can of Crown cold galvanising. It's pretty much the same as CRC Zinc-it but better.

A quick squirt = Done.

One squirt, then dry then another quirt = Done better.

It drys fast.

How much did you grind off i have some 8mm short link i want to join and i cant get the joiner in just too tight.was wondering if it was the right joiner as it has an imperial number stamped on it.was assured it was correct one

A Crosby link? Chains ropes and anchors warned me that it would need some grinding, wasn't prepared for so much but tried it through the gypsy and no problem. They are imperial size so needs some sanding to get them to be able to move freely like any other link with metric chain but I am sure still very strong. Problem is, the galv comes off, obviously so needs galv paint.

The mob that made metric joiners in Italy followed the path many manufacturers up that way have, they knew trying to compete with china wasn't worth it so simple stopped making them. The same as the Bruce anchor.

The only 2 other places outside the east where they are made is France and the Texas in Trumpland. The French ones are nice but cost about the same as your boat, even billionaire superboat owners have bulked at the price.

The ones you lads have are Texans so as the entire world is wrong we're luckily the Americans made then correctly using them feet and inches things. Hence the imperial markings. These are made by a mob called Crosby.

Being imperial can mean they are a mm maybe 2 different to the metric equivalent but that is zero worry thru a anchor winch. Winches can take one or 2 size wobbly, within reason, links and be fine. If you get a run, as little as 4 in a line on some winches, then you are likely to have issues.

A few years ago Crosby, originally Canadian owned, made them in their Canadian foundry. As china has taken most of the bread and butter items and the Canadian foundry was getting very long in the tooth and struggled with the newer very high grade fittings china is not that interested in making the call was to build a new foundry. As a massive part of their business was in the US they built the new plant in Texas. The new plant was designed to use a lot of the old molds..... or so everyone thought. The plant was built and the molds send down from Canada only to fit someone cocked up and many molds didn't fit, including the missing link, 'C Link', molds. So they had to build new ones, which is why NZ had none for about 4 months. When they did the new molds they made the lettering stand out a tad more then the old molds.

As the world tightens up, machinery get better and costs get watched we now have chains a smidgen skinnier than they used to be. Doing that means 2, 3 or on BIG chains 50-60mm or more less bar needed to form each link. If a manufacturer can save 2mm per link on a 8mm anchor chain that would mean they use around 2000mts of bar stock less in just what they supply NZ alone each year, so worldwide 2mm is a massive saving for them....and hopefully us.

But in getting that tiny smidgen skinner, which is zero worries for winches as they mostly only work on inside length, it means whomever made the new CLink molds made the lettering a tad to high to slide through like they used to.

And there you lads are........

We have seen the odd link out of Asia which was OK but generally most are far far weaker than even the shittiest chains. You can easily tell the crap links as they are oval and grey coloured where the good ones are oval and grey coloured. Hence looking for some form of traceability can tell you if you have a good one or a salvage waiting to happen.

We have never seen a stainless steel one we'd use or even give to an arsehole. All we have seen, which includes every one we have seen in NZ, are about as strong as dunny paper after a week in the bowl. But there is good money to be made selling them and people think SS is some wonder product so they are being sold. Luckily most boats never ever put the loads on their system the owners think they do.

Do ya see why I get told I should get out more? :) :)

Yep, a full moon knotty...need lots of chains! Well, I for one had no idea that the lettering I sanded off today was because they had made some new molds. We cut a lot off. Moving the links of chain either side of the joiner would see them jam. They couldn't move in a lateral direction which ment the crosby was too thick so out with the angle grinder. I think I need to post a photo tomorrow and see what you think?