Galv, next best thing?

Had to grind off quite a lot from a crosby chain joiner before it wouldn't jam, now the galvanised coating is gone. Can't get it re-galved here, at leased I don't think so, nearest is Akl. Anyone know of the next best thing? Top quality zinc paint?

How much did you grind off i have some 8mm short link i want to join and i cant get the joiner in just too tight.was wondering if it was the right joiner as it has an imperial number stamped on it.was assured it was correct one

A Crosby link? Chains ropes and anchors warned me that it would need some grinding, wasn't prepared for so much but tried it through the gypsy and no problem. They are imperial size so needs some sanding to get them to be able to move freely like any other link with metric chain but I am sure still very strong. Problem is, the galv comes off, obviously so needs galv paint.

Yep, a full moon knotty...need lots of chains! Well, I for one had no idea that the lettering I sanded off today was because they had made some new molds. We cut a lot off. Moving the links of chain either side of the joiner would see them jam. They couldn't move in a lateral direction which ment the crosby was too thick so out with the angle grinder. I think I need to post a photo tomorrow and see what you think?

Already rusting..understandable given a lot has been ground off.

Forgot to mention. The crosby still looks very strong and runs through the gypsy on our maxwell RC10-8. Off to get some zinc paint this morning!!!

20180728_092707.jpg

20180728_092650.jpg

20180728_092636.jpg

Allan (CRA) said they were the good ones and needed grinding off, we were just surprised how much had to come off before it would not jam in the chain links. I don't think we have compromised (much) the strenght, still lots of meat on it and it now goes through the gypsy. Now spray painted with crc "blast" zinc. Only time (and another 60 plus knot storm) will tell? I am assuming dispite being forged steel, they would stretch a bit under upper limit loads and not simply snap? If thats the case, then at leased keeping an eye on it everytime the pick comes up, degradation should be visible?

Watched a giant gin palace in the BOI set his anchor....full reverse. Windlass stayed where it was and chain never broke, was very spectacular to watch! Great entertainment whilst enjoying a beer on the deck of Geminis. Wish I had the boats name as he would have been ideal for testing one. The maggi chain has been sitting on a pallet since we got it, rusting already! Yep, I would expect the burnsco chinese stuff to pop its clogs first, I just hope I don't put that too the test.