Commercial Fishermen

I used to work on a 50 foot trawler,when binning fish all the crew are aft working boat on ap.Dont play chicken with them it will end badly,

When I was involved with commercial fishing boats 43yrs ago situational awareness and a watch was kept at all times... All maritime rules and common curtsey's were applied to any vessel.... Times have definitely changed!!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I doubt it, in this case the navigable part of the channel was 3/4 of a mile wide. Hardly narrow for 40ft fishing boat on a clear day with no seaway and no other traffic. Do you think not being on wat

I think you'll find fishing/commercial boats have far more to fear from recreational than the other way around.

Rule 1. Section A to Z Power vessels are to be avoided at all times.

Hi N.

Rule 9

Section b.

Essentially says that a sailing vessel cannot tack across in front of a power vessel...in a narrow channel

Hmm,

• A vessel proceeding along the course of a narrow channel or fairway must keep as near to the outer limit of the channel or fairway which lies on its starboard side as is safe and practicable.

He was on the port hand side of the channel, but I doubt this applies as its not narrow in the terms of that vessel, plus I was crossing on a very shallow angle nearly making it to issy bay on one board and not tacking.

• a power-driven vessel underway must keep out of the way of—  (d) a sailing vessel or a vessel under oars; and (2) a sailing vessel underway must keep out of the way of— (a) a vessel not under command: ( B) a vessel restricted in its ability to manoeuvre: © a vessel engaged in fishing; and etc

He was the give way vessel.

•  If one of two vessels is to keep out of the way, the other must keep its course and speed.

As above, plus he was on my starboard side and I had been sailing my course for some time.

Essentially he broke every rule and obligation to keep clear, I think he was getting a cup of tea or something letting his boat steam on AP. We were a visible from a long way off  and it only became apparent that he wasn't altering course much later.

• Every vessel must at all times maintain a proper look-out by sight and hearing as well as by all available means appropriate in the prevailing circumstances and conditions, so as to make a full appraisal of the situation and the risk of collision.

Put it this way, I felt obligated to take the name of the vessel, its number and call Maritime NZ and the Harbourmaster, I should have but cooled off.  As Miker says there is a thing called common courtesy no matter who has right of way and I generally oblige and have found most people do likewise.

Rule 9. Narrow channels

rule b.

A vessel of less than 20 metres in length or a sailing vessel shall not impede the passage of a vessel which can safely navigate only within a narrow channel of fairway.

This rule is often used in training for coxswains tickets. The first thing is that if you are in a sailing vessel you have to assume that the other vessel will maintain its right of way.  (and if crossing, always cross behind that vessel)..

If the rule "may" apply to you, then take it that it does .  This is not about sailing vessels rights or any of the other rules....

This one rule effectively removes any and all privileges that a sailing vessel has in "a narrow channel"... or fairway.

You will notice that the rule does not even state the size of the sailing vessel.

It is also not up to the sailing vessels master to interpret what "narrow" is....again if there is any possibility that the other vessel "for what ever reason" interprets it as such, then the rule applies.

The fact that the other vessel in your case may have acted in an unprofessional or discourteous manner is not what I am talking about here...

The fact is if you took this situation to any kind of arbitration....you would lose.

Coming out of the tamaki river past the ferries I normally hug the West edge of the channel. Wrong side but I would prefer to hit a sandbar than a moored or moving boat and if any thing goes wrong with my boat I may have time to anchor before getting tangled in the moored boats on the other side. I make it obvious that where I’m staying and have sails up.